Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Satisfaction vs Big Income
Good for you!
I hope it turns out great!

Jay Wrote:Had to make a very hard decision today. My head almost exploded.

I chose the advertising firm.

I declined the bank.

I'll explain later. I have to rush to my friend's office now (Work temporarily in his office).

sounds like you made the right decision .
good luck Smile

Interesting, we are curious! :-)
In any case I'm sure you made the best decision for yourself.

Edited: Sorry, I didn't bother to check for spelling or whatsoever. Not this time.

I'll be honest. I really wanted to work for the bank as it gives me high income, stability and huge benefits. I have surgeries that I need to think of. My surgeries need a big amount of money. That was the reason why I applied the job to begin with.

But I slowly lost interest and become bitter with how the Human Resource managers treated me throughout the process.

I applied a position in the bank on mid February. I received a call few days afterward (Thursday) by HR Manager 01. He asked if I can attend a job interview on the next Monday. I said yes. He said he will contact me back with detail on job interview.

I waited. Nothing.

No job interview on the next Monday.

I assumed that he has cancelled the job interview.

In the end of February, I received a call from the bank out of the blue. It was from another HR Manager. A lady. She asked me to attend a job interview. She sent me the detail. I attended and passed the job interview with flying colors.

There was no update afterward. I assumed the job was given to someone else. So I sought for other jobs. One of the jobs was the advertising firm.

End of March, I received a call from the HR lady. She told me that I got the job. She only needs to finalize my documents. I was required to give my last salary pay slip and academic transcript to finalize everything.

Then she asked for my salary expectation. I asked for a salary in the range of $5000 to $5300 (The bank vacancy ad offers $5500). She said it was too high. We finally agreed at $4800.

Few days later, I received a call from the first HR Manager. He said my salary expectation is too high. He thinks my salary should be below $4000.

He keeps saying I only have 4 years of experience, which is untrue. I worked in the real estate company for 4 years and 7 months. Prior to that, I already had two jobs. In total, I have 7 years of working experience in design field. Not 4 years as he claimed for.

He also thinks I shouldn't get $4800 because my old salary was only $2800. "There is a huge gap", he said. But he's willing to work it out and try to get me $4500.

I said okay.

Suddenly he mentioned about me being disabled.

"Don't worry about being disabled. We only care about skills." He said out of the blue.

I was shocked. I am not disabled. Granted, I injured my leg but no one sees me as disabled. I thought it was uncalled for him to say such thing.

But I kept quiet.

Few days later, I sent an email to the HR lady and asked for my job status. There was a complication on my previous salary pay slip. So I wanted to know if it affects my opportunity to work in the bank. There was no response from the lady.

Few days afterward, I received a call from the advertising firm. I was invited for a job interview. I thought, what the heck. I might as well give it a go as I had zero idea with my position in the bank.

I passed the job interview with flying colors. I was overwhelmed by continuous praises and words of encouragement given by the boss. He said he was willing to invest in me as he thinks I can be an asset to the company.

Few hours after I left the company, he personally gave me a call and offered me a position. I asked him to give me a little time to think of it. He gave me one day to decide.

I called both bank HR managers but both were not available. I kept calling and calling to no avail. I wanted to know my status with the bank.

My head nearly exploded. I needed to decide.

Time was nearly up. I practically asked everyone for an advise. My parents, family, former colleagues, former boss, my friends, my former personal trainer, taxi driver and even passers by.

Everyone thinks I would be much happier in the advertising agency as I can grow as a designer. Everyone except three. Mario, my friend who works as a doctor asked me to consider my age and the ad firm's stability. My best friend; a dental student thinks I will get better benefits with the bank. But he supports my decision whatever it is. June who was former colleague. He runs two IT companies. He thinks I can use the bank benefits as well. He also asked me to consider my age.

I was really confused.

Time was up. There was no update from the bank. So I called the boss (Ad firm) to accept his offer.

Next morning, I received a call from the bank HR lady. She told me that I need to attend a medical check up. I went blank.

I asked her, "Does that mean I get the job in the bank?"

"Ummm... it depends on the medical result." She answered.

I was confused. I thought I have already sealed my position in the bank on last March.

I discussed the situation with my parents, former colleagues and boss. They all agreed that I should go for the advertising firm. The bank was flip flopping.

That night, I sent an email to the HR lady to withdraw/decline my position in the bank.

Today. 10am. I was on my way to the advertising firm to sign my offer letter when I received a call from the HR lady.

"Jay, why? Why did you send the decline letter?" She asked.

I explained to her. I told he that I thought I didn't get the job so I applied for another job.

She then explained to me that she had to work very hard to get me the position and the salary. She repeated the benefits to me. I asked her about my salary.

"$4300." She answered.

Huh, what happened to the $4500? I thought quietly.

She made me feel guilty. I was really torn as hell. I asked her to give me an hour to decide.

I stopped by at a nearby cafe to call my parents, my former colleagues and boss again. I nearly cried.

My former boss comforted me. "Think this way, jay. The bank offers $4300. They also offer benefits, increment and stability. But you will be stagnant. If you go to the advertising firm, you can learn as much as possible. Leave the agency after a year or two to seek a higher position such as Art Director. Art Director can go as high as $8000 to $10,000. And I know you well, you'll be more happy in the advertising firm. It is more you."

I agreed. But not 100%. I was still tearing apart. But time was up. I needed to give an answer.

I called the HR lady to decline. She still tried to persuade me to work with the bank because I was the bank's first choice. She then wanted to know why I declined the job.

After the conversation, I headed down to the advertising firm. I was all doom and gloom. I was greeted by the French boss. He smiled at me. I forced myself to smile. He patted my back and told me that his admin manager will handle me.

I read the contract thoroughly.

"Life sucks .. I am doom ... stupid ... stupid ... why is this happening to me." I muttered to myself.

Then I heard a male voice. A guy was sitting opposite of me. I took a glimpse. Holy. A very good looking guy. Apparently he works there.

He looked at me too.

Okay.

Maybe it would not be so bad after all. I joked to myself.

I signed the letter and left the office. But I was still down. I walked with no direction; circling a train station. Then I took a train and stopped at another train station. Wandering alone gloomily. Then I took another train and stopped at another station. Wandered again.

My former colleagues know me well. They are like my second family. One of them called me whilst I was walking aimlessly.

"Jay, are you still thinking about the bank?" She asked.

"Yes ..." I sighed.

"Do you want me to slap you?" She laughed. "We've told you. The advertising firm is the best answer for you. Believe in yourself."

I was still in a total crap mood after the telephone conversation. I took a train to go to a nearby shopping mall as I was hungry.

I wandered around in the shopping mall. Browsed every restaurant. Felt horrible. Then, wow ... what a hunk! ... I saw a guy eating alone at a cafe. But, eh. I went all doom and gloom few seconds later.

Then I did a something ridiculous. I wrote an email to the HR lady and asked her if I'm doing the right thing. I asked her if I have made a bad decision.

Then I continued to walk aimlessly.

I went to my gym after I finished my tour in the shopping mall. I only ate sweet potatoes. Had no appetite to eat other things.

My phone rang. It was a phone call from the bank.

"Hi Jay..."

I groaned. It was the other HR manager. Not the HR lady.

"Hi ..." I croaked.

"I was told you are in dilemma. You need to be firm with your decision. You are an adult now." He went on and on. He continued by explaining the benefits and the pros working in the bank.

I just listened.

"You are lucky. You only have a diploma. A diploma holder shouldn't get a high salary. The other candidates are degree and master holders. What would they think if they know you are getting $4300 from us?" He said.

Huh?

"We have a waiting list. You need to tell us if you want the job or not. Don't keep us waiting. We have image to maintain. I have waited you for so long." He continued.

I beg your pardon? I was the one who applied for the job on last February. You left me hanging with no answers.

"I want you to give your final answer in 20 minutes."

I said okay. But actually, I have already made up my mind when he mentioned the diploma thingy.

That was uncalled for. First, I was disabled. And now this?

I was the bank's first choice in the list. I beat all the degree and master holders. Not bad for a diploma holder.

I called the HR lady. I declined the offer.

The rude HR manager guy indirectly helps to clear up my mind.

When I think of it, the salary given by the advertising firm is not far away from the bank. The advertising firm offers $3000 as a starting salary. It will be increased to $3300 after the first three months. The salary will be re-evaluate at the end of the year (Based on performance). Plus when the company gets profit, the company shares its profit with the employees.

After I complete 1 or 2 years in the advertising firm, I can move to Art Director position in that firm or in other agencies. Art Director salary can go as high as $8000 to $10,000. Or I can run my own business.

Whilst the bank is more stable, gives better benefits and a higher starting salary. The advertising firm promises growth and bigger salary in long run.

I need to learn as much as possible about advertising and the advertising firm is the right place to be.

Do I have regret with how the bank turns out to be? Of course. I was eager to get the job. But things didn't work out in the end. I have to learn from this incident, improve myself and move on.

There's always a possibility that I do not fit in the advertising firm too. If I don't fit, I will just move on and find a suitable job.

As for my surgeries, I have zero idea. One thing at a time.

You decided for your true attitude. Which is the right thing imho.
Also these people from the bank were rude and flip flopping, so...
You also have to deal with your surgeries, but as you said in the end 'one thing a time'. Also you cannot control everything whit only one hand, you need to take time to plan and do things.

I cannot say too much cause I've got more or less your age, but my position is... Gosh completely different, I'm too much crazy I'm not even able to think about 'the best salary' or this kind of things... Undecided
OT: I really have a good impression of yourself!

You rock!....

Well a little update.

I've completed my first week in the advertising firm. So far so good. I no longer think about the bank.
  • We have four gay guys in the office. Including me. All are out. I'm out but they don't know I'm gay yet. My boss is gay.
  • Two of my managers are gay guys. They look like Greek gods. Lean but muscular guys.
  • I never used Imac in my entire life. My boss gave me his. I stared at Imac for 3 minutes. Surprised I was able to learn to use Imac in less than 5 minutes.
  • The company is stable with big clientale.The real question is can I keep up with them. I hope I can excel my new job.
  • Satisfying job but admitedly, tiring. Stayed in office until 10pm for few days in a row. Have to get used to this.

Good!
The Imac is so good for that kind of job. And the environment is not hompohobic, for sure.
Is a tiring job etc, but you made a 'nice strike'.
Jay Wrote:[*]Two of my managers are gay guys. They look like Greek gods. Lean but muscular guys.
[/LIST]
And this. XD

You are still young. I would suggest you work at whatever you have too, in order to get your bills paid off and have a nice big bank account for the future. You have 10 years until you hit 40....work this 10 year time period to save up and get things situated, so when you do turn 40, you can start taking it easy and go looking for the job you really want......or if possible, work for yourself or retire.

I honestly believe I would go for the big wage purely because I have big ambitions with life. Eventually I'd like to work for myself but I'd need capital for that so I'll do whatever is needed to get that!
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]