Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe's Garage
This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws
that haven't been passed yet. It is also my responsibility to alert each and every one of
you to the potential consequences of various ordinary everyday activities you might be
performing which could eventually lead to The Death Penalty (or affect your parents'
credit rating). Our criminal institutions are full of little creeps like you who do wrong things...
and many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called MUSIC! Our studies
have shown that this horrible force is so dangerous to society at large that laws are being
drawn up at this very moment to stop it forever! Cruel and inhuman punishments are
being carefully described in tiny paragraphs so they won't conflict with the Constitution
(which, itself, is being modified in order to accommodate THE FUTURE).
I bring you now a special presentation to show what can happen to you if you choose
a career in MUSIC . . . The WHITE ZONE is for loading and unloading only. . . if you
have to load or unload, go to the WHITE ZONE... you 'll love it... it 's a way of life . . .
This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...The WHITE ZONE is for loading and unloading
only...

We take you now, to a garage, in Canoga Park

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...
That was Joe's first confrontation with The Law.
Naturally, we were easy on him.
One of our friendly counselors gave him
A do-nut...and told him to
Stick closer to church-oriented social activities.

I'll post more of Frank Zappa's "Joe's Garage" periodically
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Just a heads up. If you're easily offended, Frank is probably not your kind of music. I intend on posting the entire album (which is also a rock opera) with "The Central Scrutinizer's" script.

The is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER . . .
Joe had a girl friend named Mary.
She used to go to the church club every week.
They'd meet each other there
Hold hands
And think Pure Thoughts

But one night, at the
Social Club meeting Mary didn't show up...
She was sucking cock backstage at The Armory
In order to get a pass To see some big rock group for free...

Eherrr, eh eh...This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER again...
And so MARY was enticed away from Joe
By an evil barbarian with a wrench in his pocket
Lured into a life of SLEAZERY
With the entire road crew of some Famous Rock Group (I don't know whether it
was Toad-O... I don't know... I'll check it out)
Again we see MUSIC
Causing BIG TROUBLE!
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Check out my stuff!

Your avatar reminds of the song "Never Know"

Never knowing
Shocking but we're nothing
We're just moments
We're Clever but we're clueless
We're just human
Amusing but confusing
We're trying but where is this all leading
We'll Never Know
生年不满百,
常怀千岁忧。
昼短苦夜长,
何不秉烛游。

Alvin Wrote:Your avatar reminds of the song "Never Know"

Never knowing
Shocking but we're nothing
We're just moments
We're Clever but we're clueless
We're just human
Amusing but confusing
We're trying but where is this all leading
We'll Never Know

Are you talking about my signature? Well kind of a long story behind what it meant to me when I was looking at the lyrics of the song. The song is called "Run Around" by Blues Traveler from 1994. A lot of songs I just kind of mumble to and never pay much attiention to lyrics. I will say that musically I have evolved to appreciate different types of music and more so the lyrics.

Anyway, when it comes to Frank Zappa and this album, Joe's Garage, if the songs and the background just seem bizzare...well it is, but look up the album on Wikipedia to get an idea on what it's really all about.

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER... Meanwhile,
Joe hears about Mary's naughty exploits. He falls in with
a fast crowd and gets seduced by a girl who works at
the Jack-In-The-Box, named Lucille, who gives him
an unpronounceable disease...

Check out my stuff!

InbetweenDreams Wrote:Are you talking about my signature? Well kind of a long story behind what it meant to me when I was looking at the lyrics of the song. The song is called "Run Around" by Blues Traveler from 1994. A lot of songs I just kind of mumble to and never pay much attiention to lyrics. I will say that musically I have evolved to appreciate different types of music and more so the lyrics.

Anyway, when it comes to Frank Zappa and this album, Joe's Garage, if the songs and the background just seem bizzare...well it is, but look up the album on Wikipedia to get an idea on what it's really all about.

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER... Meanwhile,
Joe hears about Mary's naughty exploits. He falls in with
a fast crowd and gets seduced by a girl who works at
the Jack-In-The-Box, named Lucille, who gives him
an unpronounceable disease...

The story is fascinating. I just did a quick googling and it says that

Quote:Joe's Garage is a 1979 rock opera by Frank Zappa. Zappa self-deprecatingly described the album as a "stupid little story about how the government is going to do away with music." Originally released as two separate studio albums on Zappa Records, the project was later remastered and reissued as a triple album box set, Joe's Garage, Acts I, II & III, in 1987. The story is told by a character identified as the "Central Scrutinizer" narrating the story of Joe, an average adolescent male, who forms a garage rock band, has unsatisfying relationships with women, gives all of his money to a government assisted and insincere religion, explores sexual activities with appliances, and is imprisoned. After being released from prison into a dystopian society in which music itself has been criminalized, he lapses into insanity.

I get a sense of detachment when reading the introduction. The music serves as a device (political one?) to guard against institutionalization, especially when the guy, as you said, mumbles. Words like "dystopian society" seems to bear the idea of alienation and failure of communication, something very modernistic. Compounding the music, the part of "an nameable disease" appears to have a sexual implication, and it keeps me wonder if that has anything to do with "AIDS". Maybe it's not about sex. Instead, it's about loneliness and emptiness after sex. Overall, it leaves me bewildered in a good way. Maybe this average adolescent male is trying to find other outcasts... strangers... nobody...appliances...(what is that?) Like Emily Dickinson:

I am Nobody! Who are you?
Are you -- Nobody -- too?
Then there's a pair of us!
Don't tell! they'd advertise -- you know!

Actually, I am talking about your pic. Isn't that an cover from Jack Johnson -- "In Between Dreams". "Never Know" is one of the songs in that album, along with "Better Together", another favorite of mine. Another one worth mentioning is "Times Like These".

In times like these
And times like those
What will be will be
And so it goes
And it always goes
On and on and on and on and on
On and on and on and on and on it goes
And there's always been laughing, crying, birth, and dying
Boys and girls with hearts that take and give and break
And heal and grow and recreate and raise and nurture
But then hurt from time to times like these
And times like those
What will be will be
And so it goes
And there will always be stop and go and fast and slow
Action, reaction, sticks and stones and broken bones
Those for peace and those for war
And God bless these ones not those ones
But these ones made times like these
And times like those
What will be will be
And so it goes
And it always goes on and on
On and on and on and on and on on and on and on it goes
But somehow I know it won't be the same
Somehow I know it'll never be the same
生年不满百,
常怀千岁忧。
昼短苦夜长,
何不秉烛游。

Alvin Wrote:The story is fascinating. I just did a quick googling and it says that

I get a sense of detachment when reading the introduction. The music serves as a device (political one?) to guard against institutionalization, especially when the guy, as you said, mumbles. Words like "dystopian society" seems to bear the idea of alienation and failure of communication, something very modernistic. Compounding the music, the part of "an nameable disease" appears to have a sexual implication, and it keeps me wonder if that has anything to do with "AIDS". Maybe it's not about sex. Instead, it's about loneliness and emptiness after sex. Overall, it leaves me bewildered in a good way. Maybe this average adolescent male is trying to find other outcasts... strangers... nobody...appliances...(what is that?) Like Emily Dickinson:

I am Nobody! Who are you?
Are you -- Nobody -- too?
Then there's a pair of us!
Don't tell! they'd advertise -- you know!

Actually, I am talking about your pic. Isn't that an cover from Jack Johnson -- "In Between Dreams". "Never Know" is one of the songs in that album, along with "Better Together", another favorite of mine. Another one worth mentioning is "Times Like These".

Oh yes I do like Jack Johnson lol and yes that is an album cover and my username is the title of the album. Talk about being creative right? Anyway, yes Frank Zappa, as bizzare as the music is, he is a very smart guy.

Shortly after his liaison with the taco stand lady, JOE makes a horrible discovery...

Check out my stuff!

InbetweenDreams Wrote:Oh yes I do like Jack Johnson lol and yes that is an album cover and my username is the title of the album. Talk about being creative right? Anyway, yes Frank Zappa, as bizzare as the music is, he is a very smart guy.

Shortly after his liaison with the taco stand lady, JOE makes a horrible discovery...

No offense but I find it a bit funny while listening to this song, especially the part below:

Quote:Why does it,
Why does it,
Why does it,
Why does it,
Hurt!
When!
I!
Peeeeeeeee!

Is he dying of prostate cancer?
生年不满百,
常怀千岁忧。
昼短苦夜长,
何不秉烛游。

Alvin Wrote:Is he dying of prostate cancer?

Apparently the taco stand lady gave him an "unpronounceable" disease... I believe the lyrics in there should say that he got gonorrhea...

JOE is so disoriented by his disease, he goes in the
other room and plays the title cut from an old
Jeff Simmons album, and sings along with it.

Check out my stuff!

InbetweenDreams Wrote:Apparently the taco stand lady gave him an "unpronounceable" disease... I believe the lyrics in there should say that he got gonorrhea...

JOE is so disoriented by his disease, he goes in the
other room and plays the title cut from an old
Jeff Simmons album, and sings along with it.

I have to say this song is more to my taste compared with the others. Smile
生年不满百,
常怀千岁忧。
昼短苦夜长,
何不秉烛游。