Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justice Scalia Deceased
trywait Wrote:feel free to change it then. im fine with what the framers put in place.

An impossible task unless you're in power. And I won't be there, thank you.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Hopefully it'll be someone who's moderate, like Anthony Kennedy.

The knee jerk Republican response that we should wait until after a new president to decide on a replacement justice is elected is the epitome of arrogance. It would be ironic justice indeed if a new Democrat president were to appoint Obama to the bench.
I bid NO Trump!

I see no love loss for some posters, I admit I am also in that category though it is really an ugly feeling to have. It's really terrible how quickly after his death it was said we should just wait on appointing a new justice. Yes it is 100% allowed for the Senate to do that, but if there are cases presented to the court that end in a total deadlock what is supposed to happen? That is still a hypothetical situation, but the notion of delaying review, as has been done in the past with government shutdowns, is pathetically arrogant and reckless. We want politicians who are proactive and looking to work out laws and compromises that benefit the constituents, not engage in petulant whining.

The republicans will block a liberal appointment til the presidential election and theres no way to stop them. Voting to approve a liberal judge would end their careers anyway.

Which means the upcoming election will not only decide the next president but it will also determine the alignment of the supreme court.
This is gonna be one of the most important elections cycles in U.S history.

Also I'm happy Justice Scalia is dead. There I said it.

Confuzzled4 Wrote:...but if there are cases presented to the court that end in a total deadlock what is supposed to happen?
From what I know, The lower court ruling stands.
Effectively making the Supreme Court redundant in such cases.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

I really can't say that I am glad the man is dead, but I am glad that he is not on the Supreme Court any more. I don't think it would be unfair to say that he was brilliant, though misguided. His notion of "Originalism" seemed to me to deny that change and development are part of human nature. He certainly made people think and stood up for his own ideas, though the extent to which others suffered because of his advocacy cannot be denied. In the end he met the same end we all will. What will happen because of his influence remains to be seen.
I bid NO Trump!

Genersis that sounds about right. Still doesn't mean it's a horrible situation no matter how you look at it.

Anybody here seen people claim Hillary or "The Left" had him executed yet?
Very funny and sad, at the same time...
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

OH, the conspiracy theories are ripe and rife!

There was a time when a 79-year-old man dying was not a questionable event.

One story that I read questions that Scalia was in good spirits at a party before retiring early. Hah! What is suspicious about that? The man was an experienced public figure and surely had the skill to play nice for appearances sake and then duck out to get some rest he felt he needed.
I bid NO Trump!