Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kennedy Center Tributes
I am not much for any of the awards shows...I rarely watch them...but every year I LOVE the Kennedy Center Honors...sometimes I need a tissue. I am more likely to shed a tear when I am happy for someone than sad....

..and this year I may need a box of them. My favorite celebrity ever is being honored...Lily Tomlin. It is emotional for me not just because I love her but because she has been my only gay role model pretty much since I was in my early 20s and she treated being gay the same way I did...she made it a non issue. I loved her for that....I always felt like I was expected to do a dramatic sobbing "please understand and love me" coming out thing which is like asking me to fly.... so when Lily treated it similar to me...I didn't feel like I was alone...I put her on a pedestal and I felt like I had a role model. It was very comforting to me.....I have a hard time following anyone.....

She is also a brilliant comic and a great humanitarian and feminist who helped organize many AIDS benefits early on and also spearheaded Hands Across America to help bring to light the plight of the homeless in America.

So...I could gush forever but instead I want to show some of my favorite Kennedy Center performances over the years and hopefully on December 30 add Lily to the thread....

If you have any...post them...I would love to see them....

My favorite one ever was Bettye LaVette for The Who...probably my favorite live TV performance ever.....

This blew me (and everyone else in the room) away....

I had a HUGE CRUSH on Roger Daltrey when I was young.....I LOVED this final tribute to them. After 911...they were the first to sign on for a benefit ...this was a thank you for that....

The Who was my favorite band when everyone else liked The Beatles and Stones...

Rob Thomas.....and the New York Fire and Police Department

Another great moment...Ann and Nancy Wilson honoring Led Zepplin...

Stairway to Heaven....damn...they were so good....

...and then there was THIS great performance for Tina Turner from Beyoncé.....

FYI...the Kennedy Center performances are my most watched YouTube videos....

She did a great tribute ...Proud Mary...Tina loved it.....

One of the ones that made me cry...Quincy Jones...I love him. When Ray Charles sang I lost it......he kinda broke my heart........so did Quincy...

Stevie Wonder and Patti Austin as well as Quincy and Ray are some of my favorite artists ever so I was in heaven...and I watch this a lot...

Nice idea East. Heart's tribute was one of my favs. I liked Beyonce's for Tina Turner too.
But I've missed several of them so I'll be catching up on youtube thanks to you! Remybussi
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

CCRox Wrote:Nice idea East. Heart's tribute was one of my favs. I liked Beyonce's for Tina Turner too.
But I've missed several of them so I'll be catching up on youtube thanks to you! Remybussi

Thanks...glad you liked it.....I love that Zepplin tribute from Heart...it is so fucking powerful....I watch it a lot...

I think some of my favorite moments in music come from the Kennedy Center Honors and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame tributes

I am completely in love with Tony Bennett....always have been and always will be....

...and KD Lang does a beautiful tribute to him ...she really does have a great voice...I like her tone....

East Wrote:Another great moment...Ann and Nancy Wilson honoring Led Zepplin...

Stairway to Heaven....damn...they were so good....

Must show this one to Marshlander. HE's a big fan of Led Zeppelin.