Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Krautrock
Okay, so "Krautrock" isn't the most sensitive term for the music genre, but it's the most recognizable.

I'm developing an obsession with this genre (basically progressive 60's/70's rock from Germany with influences that can range from electronic music, avant-garde, jazz etc.) and I was wondering if there are any other fans on this forum!

The most famous and commercially successful Krautrock band, by far, is Kraftwerk but others include Can, Tangerine Dream, Popol Vuh, Neu!, Faust and Amon Duul. Basically, since I'm somewhat new to the genre, I'd be interested in hearing what other people have to say about it. To me it just comes off as insanely more interesting than the rock that was being made in the states at this point. Bands in Germany were busy pioneering electronic music, introducing Eastern elements to their music, creating absolutely beautiful neo-classical compositions and GAH! so many innovations, such diversity. You can even find albums that fuse psychedelic folk rock with jazz improvisations. It's like this huge well of material waiting to be explored.

My favourite Krautrock bands so far are Popol Vuh and Neu! Hosianna Mantra offers some of the most beautiful music ever made. Are you a Krautrock fan? What are your favourite albums? I need more!!

Tangerine Dream is German???? REALLY???? I have loved them since the 80's and never knew they were German!!!

When you mentioned Krautrock, I thought it was an actually rock style music......like Rammstein.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Tangerine Dream is German???? REALLY???? I have loved them since the 80's and never knew they were German!!!

When you mentioned Krautrock, I thought it was an actually rock style music......like Rammstein.

Yup, it's a German band alright.

Some people see Krautrock as a style, but it's really not. Depending on which Krautrock band you choose, the music can be any combination of psychedelic rock, ambience, jazz, avant-garde, folk, classical music and a lot more.

I actually haven't listened that much to Tangerine Dream, but I've heard their first album. It was alright, but people say they get a lot better so I'll keep working my way through their discography Smile

I have quite a few Tangerine Dream albums and a few from Kraftwerk, too. Don't listen to the stuff much anymore, but it's pretty cool to have this sort of question asked by someone so young. You obviously do a bit of digging when it comes to music.

nfisher1226 Wrote:I have quite a few Tangerine Dream albums and a few from Kraftwerk, too. Don't listen to the stuff much anymore, but it's pretty cool to have this sort of question asked by someone so young. You obviously do a bit of digging when it comes to music.

I didn't have much of an interest in music up until a year ago. I mostly listened to random conventional/radio-friendly stuff. Once I discovered there's a lot more exciting music out there I began exploring like crazy.

I like what I've heard of Kraftwerk so far, but compared to most other Krautrock bands I've heard I don't care that much for them. I can understand why they were so influential though Smile

Remember seeing a documentary about it, thats is, not really intersted in german music, even if its good.

partis Wrote:Remember seeing a documentary about it, thats is, not really intersted in german music, even if its good.

Why wouldn't you be interested in music if you think it's good? Big Grin

HumbleTangerine Wrote:Why wouldn't you be interested in music if you think it's good? Big Grin

Cause its German… They started 2 world wars, fuck them.

To be honest if i see a kraftwerk album i,ll buy it but still fuck them.

partis Wrote:Cause its German… They started 2 world wars, fuck them.

To be honest if i see a kraftwerk album i,ll buy it but still fuck them.

If you hold an entire people guilty for horrible crimes that were made by their nation in the past and consequently refuse to partake in their products, you'll have a pretty limited life. The musicians behind the albums this thread discusses have NOTHING to do with any of the wars.

Hey, not to change the subject, but how did you do on your tests?

Did you send in that letter to the college, that you wanted suggestions on?