Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lana Del Ray
What do you guys think of Lana Del Rey? Is she starting to break through I your country yet? Do you know who she is?

Well six months ago, nobody did. She has had one hit in the UK and has been bubbling under the radar ever since. This american singer has slowly managed to drum up support and intrigue. Her live performances have been generally disappointing especially the Saturday Night Live performance in the US. Having watched the hype slowly build around the release of her début album Born To Die, I was interested to hear what all the fuss was about. I have to say the album is pretty good and one of the best first albums I have heard in a while.

I found out about Lana few months earlier before she was stapled in front of Youtube main page by accident.

It took me several listens to get used to her voice. I thought she has a very interesting deep voice but solemn husky like.

The first live performance that I watched from her was this.

I thought she did a good job.

I heard she did a terrible job on SNL, which surprised me since she did fine in other performances.

I don't consider myself as a fan and I don't think I will ever be. I do admit that I like Video Games and her first single. But I appreciate that she pops into the music industry. The more, the merrier. More music choices for everyone. Besides I enjoy seeing more singers cum songwriters appear in mainstream charts.

She is starting to break through with her album that is topping itunes charts worldwide. Jay, you should check out the Born To Die single, I actually prefer it to Video Games. Although, that could be down to me overplaying that song.:redface: Thanks for that link, by the way.Confusedmile:

Another great singer-songwriter!

I absolutely adore Born to Die! I usually don't listen to pop, but she caught my interest with Video Games and her (second) debut album didn't disappoint.

I love her voice and unusual intonation. Critics say that technically she is not a good singer, and i don't know enough about it to say otherwise, but just i love the mellow attitude she sings with, it's what makes her distinctive.
For some reason Del Rey reminds me of Simone, but not because she sounds anything like Nina.

Spin's review of her first album was kind of hilariously mean. I'm not a fan, I find nothing particularly interesting about anything she does.

I first heard her on Snl, but my back was turned, and I was like, "Is that a man singing?" And spun around to look, because it sounded kinda like this singer named Sade'(Indie singer).

I was like, whoa! Her voice is practically deeper than mine. Personally I like Contraltos(Female singers with low voices-almost manish), because it's unique and plus, they sound like my instrument(Viola).

She was pretty stiff when she was singing, but I kind of liked it. It was kind of husky, to the point some words got meshed together, but over all it was pretty nice. Not iPod material, but sounds like bedroom music :embarrased: :3 lol.

mdna Wrote:She is starting to break through with her album that is topping itunes charts worldwide. Jay, you should check out the Born To Die single, I actually prefer it to Video Games. Although, that could be down to me overplaying that song.:redface: Thanks for that link, by the way.Confusedmile:

I thought Lana was British. I kept wondering why she had an American flag in her video. I had to check Wikipedia to sort out my confusion. Pardon me. Laugh

I listened to Born to Die and yes, it was very nice. There's something about her that reminds me of the 70s. Okay, obviously her appearance screams retro. But her voice also reminds me of the 70s music.

Jay Wrote:I thought Lana was British. I kept wondering why she had an American flag in her video. I had to check Wikipedia to sort out my confusion. Pardon me. Laugh

I listened to Born to Die and yes, it was very nice. There's something about her that reminds me of the 70s. Okay, obviously her appearance screams retro. But her voice also reminds me of the 70s music.

No, she is very much American. I don't know why the record company issued her single first internationally to be honest. Maybe they wanted to test the waters before launching her in the US. She is likely to début high on the billboard 200 this week and her second big US performance on David Letterman was better received.

She is pretty retro looking and sounding. I find her quite intriguing.

I just find her very generic and don't think she does that much singing to be honest lol, She can carry a tune but nothing fantastic, her voice is too breathy for my tastes and I feel like I've heard her style before and that there isn't really much thats special or sets her apart from her peers.

I have not heard of her before this, but I don't really keep up with the "latest" of anything. She has a decent voice, but she doesn't seem to be using it in a very unique or innovative way. Having said that, the fact that she actually has a voice makes her stand out compared to many "vocal artists" today.