Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Language Forums
Helllooooo boys !
Trust we are all well today !

Anyway, was going through the language forum and saw that its quite limited and i'm quite curious about how many people from how many countries come here for a chat.

so, hmmm.... i think I forgot what the point of this post was.....

okay, give me a sec, its should come back to me any second now.....
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Well I'm English, so I can start the ball rolling with that ...

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Shadow Wrote:Well I'm English, so I can start the ball rolling with that ...

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

okay, well, that should work ! I'll just follow suit then ! :tongue:

I'm Afrikaans, but don't speak it very often, only when I talk to my mom.

i am Sudanese, i speak the Sudanese slang , which is a version of Arabic

Hoe maak je het, Rowan?

Moi je suis Franglais. Je parle le français, la plupart du temps, and I speak English, quite often, when I'm not singing or speaking other languages, talen, idiomas, lingue, langues, Sprachen, línguas, yuyán, jazyk, iazik, glosses

So how do you say: "Do you speak my / our language?" in your language?

In French:
Est-ce que tu parles (single person, familiar speech) / vous parlez (polite form or collective form) ma (my) langue / notre (our) langue?
Pronunciation (for English speakers) would go something like:
Esker too parl / voo parlay mar long / notre long?
But French includes certain sounds that don't exist in English, namely the R, and the nasal vowel sounds UN, AN, IN, ON (difficult to render in English). Final letters are rarely sounded though they may give the last vowel sound a different sound.

princealbertofb Wrote:Hoe maak je het, Rowan?

Moi je suis Franglais. Je parle le français, la plupart du temps, and I speak English, quite often, when I'm not singing or speaking other languages, talen, idiomas, lingue, langues, Sprachen, línguas, yuyán, jazyk, iazik, glossas (not sure about the plural of that one, let's ask Spoty to confirm)...

So how do you say: "Do you speak my / our language?" in your language?

In French:
Est-ce que tu parles (single person, familiar speech) / vous parlez (polite form or collective form) ma (my) langue / notre (our) langue?
Pronunciation (for English speakers) would go something like:
Esker too parl / voo parlay mar long / notre long?
But French includes certain sounds that don't exist in English, namely the R, and the nasal vowel sounds UN, AN, IN, ON (difficult to render in English). Final letters are rarely sounded though they may give the last vowel sound a different sound.

Bleeding hell.... you like to elaborate, dont you ?? :biggrin::biggrin:Astrosmiley2Astrosmiley2 LoL

And i dont speak dutch, dear. But its very close to afrikaans, so i can understand both dutch & German.

Do you speak my language in afrikaans, is :
Praat jy my taal ?
Do you speak afrikaans, is:
Praat jy Afrikaans?

Dear Rowan, I don't speak Afrikaans but I have learnt some Dutch which I know you understand, which is why I wrote this in Dutch... You can't avoid some links with your colonial past, now, can you? I'm happy to learn some Afrikaans though... It's just so interesting.

Rowan Wrote:Bleeding hell.... you like to elaborate, dont you ?? :biggrin::biggrin:Astrosmiley2Astrosmiley2 LoL

By the way, I'm a language teacher, so what do you expect??? Lol. :tongue:

princealbertofb Wrote:Dear Rowan, I don't speak Afrikaans but I have learnt some Dutch which I know you understand, which is why I wrote this in Dutch... You can't avoid some links with your colonial past, now, can you? I'm happy to learn some Afrikaans though... It's just so interesting.

DEAR rowan ??? Now i'm a dear ???? tsk tsk tsk, shame on you !!

As for the afrikaans, why do you find it so interesting ??? really nothing special to it !

are you studying it ?

Rowan Wrote:Helllooooo boys !
Trust we are all well today !

Anyway, was going through the language forum and saw that its quite limited and i'm quite curious about how many people from how many countries come here for a chat.
Dare I suggest then, that you do a poll to see how many people we have from how many countries? You could start with the obvious: England, Wales, Scotland, Jersey, South Africa, Canada, The U.S.A., France, the Netherlands, Spain, Argentina? those are the ones I think I've picked up on the way...