Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Language Forums
I'm not sure you can add more answers to a poll after it's begun though... See the Avgolemono poll.

You were the first to call me "dear", I was just reciprocating. Nothing wrong with cherishing someone... lol. Anyway, no I'm not studying Afrikaans in particular, but I do like to study languages, yes. So their differences interest me.

What's the word you use for Butterfly? Is it like the Dutch, vlinder?
It is one of the words that varies most in European languages, even though there are three main strains of languages. They could be much more alike, but they are not.

princealbertofb Wrote:You were the first to call me "dear", I was just reciprocating. Nothing wrong with cherishing someone... lol. Anyway, no I'm not studying Afrikaans in particular, but I do like to study languages, yes. So their differences interest me.

What's the word you use for Butterfly? Is it like the Dutch, vlinder?
It is one of the words that varies most in European languages, even though there are three main strains of languages. They could be much more alike, but they are not.

almost, in afrikaans its "flinder" . the pronunciation is quite different though.

You've added to my collection, so thanks.

Vlinder... Flinder... Borboleta... Mariposa... Papillon... Farfalla... Butterfly... Hu-die... Schmetterling... Petalouda... Farasha...
We have asked Sudanese to add his Arabic word to our list... and now it's done!

princealbertofb Wrote:You've added to my collection, so thanks.

Vlinder... Flinder... Borboleta... Mariposa... Papillon... Farfalla... Butterfly... Hu-die... Schmetterling... Petalouda...
We'll have to ask Sudanese to add his Arabic word to our list...

Always a pleasure ! just let me know if there anything else you want to know !

Rowan Wrote:Always a pleasure ! just let me know if there anything else you want to know !
Well, for one thing... Can your work out which language uses which word for a Butterfly, other than the obvious three...
Dutch
Afrikaans
English
French
Portuguese
Greek
Italian
Spanish
Chinese
Russian
Arabic
Malay
Thai
Swedish
:confused:

princealbertofb Wrote:Well, for one thing... Can your work out which language uses which word for a Butterfly, other than the obvious three...
Dutch
Afrikaans
English
French
Portuguese
Greek
Italian
Spanish
Chinese
Russian
Arabic
Malay
Thai
Swedish
:confused:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
okay, hows about we leave that untill i've managed to finish my linguistics course ?? okay !!??

Rowan Wrote::eek::eek::eek::eek:
okay, hows about we leave that untill i've managed to finish my linguistics course ?? okay !!??

Yes you'd better get back to your work...

princealbertofb Wrote:Yes you'd better get back to your work...

what do you mean "get back to it" ?? !! I havent even started !!!!!

Rowan Wrote:what do you mean "get back to it" ?? !! I havent even started !!!!!

Well, when are you going to start? The linguistics course, that is...
Were we talking about another job, maybe?