Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Night Expeditions
OrphanPip Wrote:We used to get massive swarms of Shadflies for a few weeks in the Spring, but lately they've been gone, I think the city must have done something to control the population. I remember as a child they used to carpet the school yard, cause we lived right next to the river.

[Image: Shadfly01.jpg]

I've seen them or something very similar, but I've never seen them swarm like that before. You are in more of a wet climate, though, aren't you.

Absolutely gorgeous .

I admire your dedication to them.

the back yard thread is great m8 - maybe il join in = we get lots of birds here so it would be nice to post a few pics of them maybe

Nick9 Wrote:We don't have hummingbirds, but we have this nice little fella
[Image: 258px-IC_Macroglossum_stellatarum1_NR.jpg]

Macroglossum stellatarum

They like special flowers and when you bring them to your garden, they will appear within several minutes, even though they had never been there before. Smile

Interesting. I have never seen one of those before. They have pretty wings from what I can see in the picture.

We have butterflies and moths here.

They almost always come in some variation of orange, white, black, or brown. So, they aren't all that colorful here either. Though, occasionally I'll see a blue one.

Very interesting :3 See we don't have many people like you in the U.S at least not in my area where they'll go out at night just to find critters to look at/take pictures of. I have friends sorta like that but nothing like what you do xD

tehe... I blush Dazzler1 lol. I'm kind of a weird-o when it comes to animals, so it's not my fault :p . I grew up watching them and being surrounded by them. I even worked in our Museum & Zoo as a volunteer and fed the Giant Sea Turtles, a Shark(only one :p ), Barricuda, various fish, an Octopus, Sea lions, Giant Tortoises(which really stink :p ), a type of Kangaroo(Wolliby? can't remember), peacocks, lizards, turtles, monkeys, and one time a snake :o .

I have pics of them somewhere, maybe i'll post them :p .

Well here's another tiny update from last night (another cold, dry night Sad )

A jumping spider... very tricky to get a picture of :p . I heard their bite is like a needle prick.(Salticidae)
[Image: IMG_0873.jpg]

A common ground beetle. They burrow during the day.
[Image: IMG_0875.jpg]

I believe this is the moth form of the Cutworm catepillar. It's that little white dot by the light :p (Noctua pronuba)
[Image: IMG_0876.jpg]

Eek!, Lily's dinner Smile . Common cockroach(baby) (Blattaria)
[Image: IMG_0882.jpg]

Ahhhh... oh, it isn't real Smile . It's just my covers Kiss3
[Image: IMG_0885.jpg]
~
You won't believe how close I came to catching a black cat(on camera). It literally almost made me scream, cause it jumped out behind me and ran across my backyard and into my neighbors yard. My adrenaline was pumping so hard lol.

It was probably a Tabby or American Shorthair.

Also, I found some tree frogs, ironically enough, in a loquat tree that's inbetween my neighbors house and mine. I'm going to set up a "frog trap" so that I can 1) get a play mate for Lily and 2) get a picture of one(or some) Smile .

Okay, so I decided to post some pics of a few of the animals at our Museum & Zoo :p . I don't work there any more, but I try to stalk them, every Sunday Wink (j/k)

PIC HEAVY :o

I'm pretty sure this big fella is a logger headed musk turtle, but I'm honestly not sure. I'd have to go back there and find out :p .
[Image: utf-8BMC5qcGc.jpg]

Here he is in the water Smile .
[Image: utf-8BMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

what be that? :confused:
[Image: utf-8BMi5qcGc-1.jpg]

Oh...it's a big Galapagos Tortoise Smile . Long neck I believe
[Image: utf-8BMy5qcGc-1.jpg]

Yep, she's got a long neck :p
[Image: utf-8BNC5qcGc-1.jpg]

Trachemys Scripta Elegans! Smile , just like Sora
[Image: utf-8BNS5qcGc-1.jpg]

Hey! Cover your lady parts Mr. Lizard :o
[Image: DSC01885.jpg]

Moon Jelly fishes Smile
[Image: DSC01797.jpg]

Pwetty Angel fish Smile .
[Image: DSC01800.jpg]

Get outta that hole Mr.! :o - he's 4feet :biggrin: .
[Image: DSC01801.jpg]

That be a puffer, that be! Smile (Balloon fish)
[Image: DSC01804.jpg]

Thar she blows! :p
[Image: DSC01808.jpg]

ahh... The infamous Barricuda :p . Don't get in the water with shiny objects on!
[Image: DSC01809.jpg]

A Common Reef Shark I believe. Not an expert :p .
[Image: DSC01810.jpg]

Smile here he is.
[Image: DSC01814.jpg]

Lion Fish. Very poisonous... don't touch them.
[Image: DSC01816.jpg]

Parrot Fish :p , some of the only fish with teeth
[Image: DSC01820.jpg]

Sea lions Smile
[Image: DSC01822.jpg]

That's my sister pointing us out, can you see us? :p
[Image: DSC01826.jpg]

A plastic model of a Trachemys Scripta Elegans :o
[Image: DSC01830.jpg]

Plastic Model of what our beach looks like, when baby turtles hatch :p
[Image: DSC01840.jpg]

Close-up :o
[Image: DSC01842.jpg]

I can't remember... Caribou? :p (don't mind the reflection of my sis :p )
[Image: DSC01846.jpg]

Monitor Lizard I believe :p .
[Image: DSC01848.jpg]

Close up Smile
[Image: DSC01854.jpg]

A python, though I believe it's reticulated.
[Image: DSC01856.jpg]

Wombat? I'm not sure, but they're related to the Kangaroo
[Image: DSC01863.jpg]

Flamingos. Not permanent residents, they come and go :p .
[Image: DSC01864.jpg]

Not a capuchin, but very similar and intelligent :p .
[Image: DSC01875.jpg]

Eek... he gave me the :mad: face :p . He also stole my sister's bag when we put it down for 2mins :o
[Image: DSC01879.jpg]

Glassless pool, has sea urchins and small fish in it.
[Image: DSC01881.jpg]
~

There are tons more, but I think some got deleted Sad . I couldn't find the picture of the Giant Sea Turtles, which is what I wanted to show you the most :p .

Oh well, you'll have to settle for these Smile . This isn't part of my Late Night Expeditions, but it was an Expedition Wink .

I want to go back to the zoo now :tongue: I like animals but I hate bugs :mad:. we have a ton of mosquitoes (Virginia is a freakishly humid place) nats, may flies, horse flies and wasps. pretty much any kind of insect that will attack you just for the heck of it is in VA.

fun story, I was out doing yard work and was driving my truck around moving fallen tree branches from a storm that passed and after riding around in it for 15 minutes I looked down where the door is attached to the truck and noticed a wasp nest about four inches around :eek:. I ran like hell back to the house :tongue:

oh, another fun story. you know those massive hornets nest
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcgwq3fO1yP7shwNV35mw...XWka4MmAsw]

I was out doing yard work again, I parked the truck by some trees and as soon as I got out I was face to face with a massive hornets nest Scared as soon as I get a decent job I'm headed straight for the city Smile

ceez Wrote:oh, another fun story. you know those massive hornets nest
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcgwq3fO1yP7shwNV35mw...XWka4MmAsw]

I was out doing yard work again, I parked the truck by some trees and as soon as I got out I was face to face with a massive hornets nest Scared as soon as I get a decent job I'm headed straight for the city Smile

Wow :o lol. I've only ever seen a beehive like once before, and it was definitely not that big :p .

I feel sorry for you, especially with all those flies. Town for us is full of pigeons and their poo, so I actually like living out on the fringe of town. I'm between the beach and town :p .