Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Night Expeditions
Lol Nicky, you sound like me, running around Rofl . I'm so terrified of the flying ones...

I don't rescue them per se, but I don't kill them either. I can't stand it Cry .

I feed the babies to my frogs, but I just can't bring myself to squish them... something must be wrong with me Rolleyes .

It's just that this one I felt sorry for, the poor thing, cause he was having trouble "cockroaching", so I let him go outside, where he's more likely to survive.

~Update~

I made a little rescue last night/early this morning[2am] while actually talking here on GS :biggrin: .

This little guy somehow made it into my house and was sitting on my glass sliding door and I gently scooped him up and he hopped from my hand to my arm and just sat there Loveya .

He's not one of mine, so I had to let him go, even though he's such a pretty yellow! They're normally beige/brown/hazel or orangey yellow with black triangles, but this little guy is bright yellow with no triangles.

I also came across a very pretty Otala Lactea, and I put him on a nice nutritious tree for him to naw at Xyxthumbs .

Here he is :biggrin:
[Image: IMG_1326.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1328.jpg]

And the pretty Otala Lactea, he was very inquisitive :tongue: . [A nasty blue bag flew into my yard! It really irritates me when trash is left around!! I nearly ripped it up, putting it in the trash:mad: ]
[Image: IMG_1330.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1331.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1332.jpg]

~Update~

Not technically a "Late Night Expedition", as I found this poor baby in the day time, but I figured I'd share with you this fallen beauty. [Thanks to Midgey's suggestion too, I guess... Rolleyes lol]

Known to some as the Milkweed Butterfly, though commonly known as the Monarch Butterfly [Danus Plexippus], these little guys can be found flying about all the time. Usually on warm summer days.

Though I believe they only live about 90days as adults, unforunately..

[Image: IMG_1515.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1516.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1518.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1517.jpg]

As you can probably see, the bottom wings have been picked at, so I can only assume it's been dead for a few days.

When they die, they usually just fall out of the sky.

It's actually still outside my house, and it hasn't been eaten fully by the ants yet... the wonderful, though sometimes cruel, circle of life. :frown: .

Lucky, it's image still lives on, so Smile .

Awww it's a pretty little flutterby!!! :biggrin: I love them, they seem to have a liking to me occasionally too landing on my nose, hair during summer when im out taking photos and such

MidgetGem Wrote:Awww it's a pretty little flutterby!!! :biggrin: I love them, they seem to have a liking to me occasionally too landing on my nose, hair during summer when im out taking photos and such

That sounds so cute Loveya .

Yes, they are amongst the most beautful butterfly species in the world, though are not common in places such as Canada or where it's consistantly cold.

They are fairly friendly for a butterfly/insect species and are attracted to sweet smells, especially of course from their main food source, the Milkweed however poisonous it may be. Smile .

So you must've smelt sweet to them Smile .

I used to keep them a while ago[I released them as soon as they could fly], so I learnt a few things :p lol.