Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks vs. Personality
My Ex and I were entirely attracted to each other based on personality. Since we met online we didn't even know what each other looked like until after we hit it off. While if I was going entirely by looks, and looks alone, I probably would have bypassed him (Not to say he was unattractive, just a tiny bit outside my normal type. I will say I still find him rather cute) but I will admit I am glad I didn't take his looks into account.

Chase Wrote:I am often seeking to improve my appearance.

Why meddle with perfection????

Perverted-smiley

How smooth.

Does anyone else ever just happen to see random strangers that you KNOW most people would find ugly but you find them sort of handsome and it's just odd that you'd even think as such I mean what if they knew that you basically just condemned them in the eyes of the mainstream but gave them a tiny piece of your appreciation for compensation and OH GOD suddenly they're even more handsome because most people probably would think otherwise what the hell is wrong with you why can't you be attracted to normal things like normal people...

SolemnBoy Wrote:Really? Actually, I have this thing where I'm more likely to believe a beautiful person is mean. I know that prejudice is just as bad as the opposite but pretty kids are more likely to grow up as the popular ones and... that usually causes quite a lot of arrogance.

I think it's just something I picked up in high-school and couldn't quite leave behind me. I know it's not true and that you can't think like that.

But I think you're pretty <3, and not arrogant at all really :-3.

I often find the ones considered to be "not so pretty" to be the more loathing ones, of both themselves and others, for the fact that they were probably made fun of in school or are jealous or whatever else.

But then again, they are also equally inclined to be nice, just as some "pretty" pollies are too. Wink

dfiant Wrote:I would go further to say that more than 20% is based on looks, especially if we are talking first impressions of a person. Until you actually meet a person and get to know their personality then your impressions and attractions are 100% based on appearances and mannerisms.
Yeah I totally agree. Strangers are judged by looks and therefore its usually 100% looks at first, can't be helped I guess xD

Otherwise it's 70-80% personality, rest looks. Looks aren't as important because when you start developing feelings towards a person he/she will get more attractive, for me anyhows. Likewise if the personality is horrible the person changes from attractive to unattractive, except super duper eye candies xD. But I wouldn't want a relationship with that.
The 20-30% looks simply include my preferences.

For me, it's probably 80% personality and 20% looks... I mean the personality factor plays a huge part of a serious relationship. and looks? As long I find them attractive(doesn't matter what others say ) , they're good enough haha

I do see a difference between liking and loving someone and being attracted to someone.

That said, I'm pretty sure personality counts for A LOT more than looks for me...but I say pretty sure as looks still matter, and yet it's confusing because what many people find attractive I don't (likewise I can admire someone as a "perfect specimen" and yet still feel absolutely no attraction for said person), and I can find many imperfections to be intriguing and interesting even before I get to know the said person. I also think it helps that I don't really care what others think as long as it doesn't endanger my ability to take care of myself (so I don't care if people think I'm "settling," for example). That said...

SolemnBoy Wrote:Does anyone else ever just happen to see random strangers that you KNOW most people would find ugly but you find them sort of handsome and it's just odd that you'd even think as such I mean what if they knew that you basically just condemned them in the eyes of the mainstream but gave them a tiny piece of your appreciation for compensation and OH GOD suddenly they're even more handsome because most people probably would think otherwise what the hell is wrong with you why can't you be attracted to normal things like normal people...

Hasn't happened to me yet, and since I'm 30 now I doubt it ever will.

Pix Wrote:I do see a difference between liking and loving someone and being attracted to someone.

That said, I'm pretty sure personality counts for A LOT more than looks for me...but I say pretty sure as looks still matter, and yet it's confusing because what many people find attractive I don't (likewise I can admire someone as a "perfect specimen" and yet still feel absolutely no attraction for said person), and I can find many imperfections to be intriguing and interesting even before I get to know the said person. I also think it helps that I don't really care what others think as long as it doesn't endanger my ability to take care of myself (so I don't care if people think I'm "settling," for example). That said...

Hasn't happened to me yet, and since I'm 30 now I doubt it ever will.

I'm a freak :'(

SolemnBoy Wrote:Does anyone else ever just happen to see random strangers that you KNOW most people would find ugly but you find them sort of handsome and it's just odd that you'd even think as such I mean what if they knew that you basically just condemned them in the eyes of the mainstream but gave them a tiny piece of your appreciation for compensation and OH GOD suddenly they're even more handsome because most people probably would think otherwise what the hell is wrong with you why can't you be attracted to normal things like normal people...

I have always been attracted to skinny guys, most people prefer their men with a little beef so yeah I can drool over skinny guys when everyone else is turning up their nose at them.

While 'first impressions' and attractions are generally entirely based on looks, I don't think it is entirely untrue that 80% attraction or more is personality because once you get to know someone who may have been right off your 'pwooor radar' on first impressions, you find there is more of an attraction based on personality.