Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost and Found Money
Lately, I have been seeing a LOT of news stories about people finding anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars, to half a million dollars, on the side of the roads, in ditches, in trashcans, or just sitting in the middle of the road. No notes, no name tags, no ID of any kind.

Be HONEST now....

Would you keep this money or turn it in to the police?

There will be a poll attached to this, so BE HONEST!!!
The pole is anonymous, so PLEASE be honest when you choose an answer!

And all of these people have turned this money into the police. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

If someone is so ignorant, lazy, and just plain dumb enough not to give a damn about paying attention to their money, and where it is at all times....then they deserve to lose it. Apparently it doesnt mean much to them in the first place.

I'd turn it in.
It's not my money, and I'm not going to assume things about why it ended up lost to validate my greed.
Saying that, maybe things would be different if it actually happened.

Keep it, keep it.... I wont lie, although if it was in a wallet/purse I'd take the money out then put the wallet/purse where someone else will find it, like a pensioners favourite bench.... though honestly you cant trust anyone these days.... i will sleep like a baby!

I wouldn't be able to stop thinking of the person who lost it and how they would be feeling.

That money may have been carefully saved by someone who hasn't much money, it could be a loan from a friend or family member but still needs paying back.

It could have been lost by someone who really, NO REALLY needs it and can't afford to just lose money like that. What if it was for an elderly persons fuel bill or their Christmas Dinner or a trip to see their family and now they wont have any of what they were looking forward to.

What if it was the proceeds of crime?

My former housemate was always "finding" things in the street. He found a really expensive iPod once. Funny how he also found the charger cable at the same time!

He "found" a play station around about the same time one of my friends lost his but had let my housemate stay over at his flat at the time the playstation went missing. Hmmmm.

No, honesty is the best policy.

Im not talking about wallets, or items with ID's on them that can be traced.

Although money does have numbers on it, its not a trace number that can lead you to an owner.

Im talking about money thats been stuffed into a paper bag, a grey can, or in a garbage sack in a public trash can....that kind of thing.

If you cannot be bothered to take care of what you have, even if its your life savings, then you dont deserve what you had, obviously. And more often than not, this money is never claimed and just sits there forever. And as corrupt as a lot of police are nowdays, they find some way to keep the money themselves....have friends or relatives claim it.

The way I see it, the person who had the money was meant to lose it, in order to learn a lesson. The person who found the money, found it in order to help someone with it, whether it be themselves or a charity (and NOT the person that lost it).

And there is NO difference between picking up coins off the ground and putting them in your pocket and walking away, and a sack full of money. If you can pick up a coin off the ground and NOT turn it over to the police as "found money", you can do the same for a bag of it.

Honestly, I would take it home, fondle and caress it, count it several times all in the privacy of my own home, then tuck it somewhere safe and wait a few months keeping tabs on the local newspaper/news to see what happens.

Then I would carefully start spending it.

If someone is that careless for a bag or amount of cash to end up in any of those places either they are dead or they didn't need it as much as me.

God gifts us gifts, why on earth refuse them?

I'm too ethical to keep the money regardless of why it was placed for me to find. Smile

Normally I'd keep it, and wouldn't turn it into the police because I'd expect the cops to keep it for themselves, too. That said, I did find a wallet with money in it and an address and I did return it (money and all). I can only hope it was the right address however as no one was home and I just put it through their mail slot on their door. In retrospect I wished I'd made sure it was the right person (who could've moved away since having their DL made) as I was curious how that wallet full of money ended up in the middle of the woods (best I can figure it was it slipped out while on a dirt bike and hit a bump there).

But if I came across a HUGE amount...probably turn it in simply because it could be counterfeit and it could have money that's traceable (possibly only when processed), that is evidence. Actually, I probably wouldn't even touch it at all...though if I did take it then I'd put it somewhere else that couldn't be connected to me (and could thus be conceivably found by yet someone else) and wait...I'd be very cautious about spending it, at least at first, and that would include a cover story on who paid it to me if it turned out to be counterfeit. I'd feel more comfortable if it was all old & wrinkly money, however, but I'd still proceed cautiously whatever I did.

If its stuffed in a bag on a dirt road, i know its dirty money, i know no ones going to claim it and the police chiefs wife is getting an expensive new dress or be shared among the privilaged few. Like bowyn id keep a low profile. Though id be scared what to with the money, i mean you cant walk in the bank and make a cash deposit can you. . . . Or can you?

I think id be looking over my shoulder my whole life, still would though.