Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Love Me, Love My Turnip
Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:It is with great sadness that I report I ate the last of my turnips last night.

They went with dignity, salt, pepper and a large dollop of real butter.

In a few more hours they will pass on from my body to become one with the septic tank, where with time and all of those wonderful bacterias in the tank they will leech out back into the earth from which the came.

Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust, Salt and Butter mashed them up.

Why dont you freeze some next year or can some at home?

There are lots of tutorials on how to can stuff on YouTube.

^^^ I can and dehydrate and freeze a decent chunk of things. But I prefer my turnips to be fresh. Freezing, even after cooking and mashing they end up with a strange texture. Same thing happens with mashed potatoes... I think the formation of ice crystals break down the individual bits further leaving them 'weird' in texture.

I didn't plant enough of the turnips to keep some in the icebox a few months until fall crop... I usually do, but got kind of side tracked with other 'issues' this late winter/early spring so I kind of skimped on my spring planting.

In fall I will have a large crop, and be able to store turnips to last until spring.