Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lying to you....
If the person you are dating happen to lie about the details of one of his family members (out of embarrassment) and you found out the truth,
will you be angry with him and consider him not trustworthy or faithful?

PS: But he was truthful about himself , his past relationships, his career etc...

it depends on how it affects you. if the details affect your life directly in some way, then it's a different subject than when they don't. in the first case, you'd have to clear it with him why he didn't reveal to you information pertaining directly to your life. if your life is unaffected then, no, i don't see him as untrustworthy.

His family, his business. Maybe there were extenuating circumstances where he promised them a strict confidence. Just because you're dating doesn't mean you're privy to all his dirty little secrets... especially if they involve or about others.

They weren't his secrets to divulge to you. MYOB.

It depends. Scenario's too vague.

Eh...I would normally have a fit if my BF lied to me but if it is about a family member due to embarrassment...that would be OK and easy to understand for me

It depends on the lie and the person, I would think. Do you come into a lot of contact with this family member? How does the lie affect you?
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

If it doesn't directly affect your relationships, I'd forgive him. Maybe he thought he could lose you if he told you the truth. I can understand very well how it feels to be embarrassed about your family.

As long as he's truthful about himself then he's trustworthy. But lying about a family member means that nobody not even you was supposed to know about it. Dirty little secrets like Borg said, might be carrying much more hard situations than you expected...

I know it from myself, sometimes I have to lie or keep secrets about my family even from my bf, to keep him from getting hurt.

(Adam) All I ever knew about Will's sister was that she was estranged from the family and living in another state - until she got arrested and her son ended up on my doorstep and her whole sordid history came out. In this case, it was more a lie of omission, and I understand completely that he found it too painful to share his anger, frustration, guilt...it doesn't make him less trustworthy at all.

Often when I come into these threads, I'm thinking, "Oh good god, not another tl;dr novel of a post that could have been edited down to 3 or 4 sentences and said the same thing." In this case you are very short on details. Is this something that affects and concerns you or is it just details of someone's life that really has no impact on your life, because that makes a difference. Also, have you been with your boyfriend for a long time or are you still in the discovery stage of learning about each other? Almost always, lying is not good, but like anything else, how seriously you deal with it depends on the seriousness of the infraction. There is a reason why the person convicted of shoplifting does not receive the same sentence as someone convicted of homicide.