Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Madonna and Gay Men 30+.
Hiya,

I am a third year Media student at university and as I have always had an interest in the appeal of Madonna to gay men (through watching my big brother and best friend constantly being obsessed with her), I have chosen to do my dissertation on this subject.
I am looking at things like:
How far can Madonna be considered a gay icon?
What is it that gay men like about Madonna- why do they love her or dislike her?
Could she still be considered a gay icon?
If you still like Madonna, is it for the same reasons today as it was when you were younger? What were the reasons?
With regards to Madonna, their are theorist that argue she is an extremely clever commodity who has just tapped into a market with a disposable income, what are your feelings on this?

I would appreciate any help at all with this; any thoughts no matter how detailed will benefit me massively. I am not gay and I can only assume things, but as gay men (and lesbian input is welcomed as well) you can tell me what exactly it is that does it for you.
From this I will try to incorporate your thoughts and opinions into my research.

Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to your responses, as soon as possible (yea I left it untill the last minute- typical student I know!)

Regards,
Charlotte.
Laugh1

It is mearly a fashion for that generation, and has become a habit for those millions.

Well thats how i see it Roflmao.

Personally I cannot stand madonna!

Not sure if my opinion is relevant to your study but if it is here goes.

I think a large part of Madonnas appeal is her ability to constantly reinvent herself. The proof that growing older doesn't necessarily mean growing up and looking old or losing popularity.

Her music doesn't stick to too many boundries and it makes for a good dance!!

I can't say I'm a huge fan but I do like her.

I think both when i was younger and now it's for the same reasons. Cardy and everyone else can protest all they want but the fact is that pop music in general is aimed at two groups: the young (let's say under 16s) and gay men.

So pop music in general toes the line between being about sex with men (note any song by the Spice Girls, or Rachel Stevens singing "I let you in my back door...") and boppy enough for kids to dance to.

It just so happens that Madonna's music fits both bills beautifully. It's genuinely brilliantly crafted pop. People my not like her music but i defy anyone to say she isn't a performer. Not many could put a show on like her, as i think Britney's disgrace of a comback tour is proving.

Also the fact that she's outspoken doesn't really do her any harm there. Or rather, didn't. She IS starting to get old, bless her. She really SHOULD start looking at investing in a couple of twin-sets and some mum jeans soon.

I could wax lyrical about this for ages, but sadly you say '30+' in the title, which is at least ten years off me. So i'll make any further opinions available on request.

[COLOR="Purple"]I guess we all enjoyed Madonna because she was sooo naughty.

She pushed the boundaries of what was acceptable for a music video. I think everybody likes a rebel but especially groups outside the average...

Again, this is mostly about her vids... but she always had terribly sexy men in them, as well as taking movements from the gay underground and making it enormous (Vogueing).

After a while it got so obvious what she was onto... just shock or try to continue to shock that I got terribly bored with her... she wasnt doing anything exciting with music but seemingly following her formula while attempting to shock - didnt work, imho.

I have learned that she has done great work with her charities but there always seems to be a bit of self promoting in whatever goes on in her life, even her divorce...

Must agree with sox as she still is in incredible condition and that shit takes a lot of work to bounce around and still sing or at least not be so obvious about using a tape.

good luck with your paper[/COLOR]

CardShark Wrote:It is mearly a fashion for that generation, and has become a habit for those millions.

Well thats how i see it Roflmao.

Personally I cannot stand madonna!

I agree Shark,just goes to prove that age has nothing with what is pleasing to the ear.Rofl

Heya Guys, thank you so much for the response!

I will be posting a questionnaire on this topic to assist me further with my research, would anyone be able to fill this out for me? And if you know anyone else that may be willing to help, I value every contribution.

Sox although you say you are ten years of the target age group, your opinion is very valued and I would appreciate any further contribution that you are willing to offer.
BiPenny your thoughts are also very valuable, after conducting further research I have found that Madonna's attraction to Lesbians is lacking and therefore I would like to include this in my research.

Thank you again for your time, and please keep the comments rolling!

Charlotte
Confusedmile:

I don't really even know what it is about her. I've loved her music since I was 12 and before I even really knew which team I batted for. I still listen to her a lot and love some of her stuff that's been remixed. It's great for cardio at the gym and it just puts me in a really good mood.

I love her energy, her spirit, and the fact that she will try anything without any boundaries. In my opinion she really set the foundation for many musical artists today. I don't even know why she's considered a 'gay' icon but she's always been my favourite. =D

Maybe it's because she's another one of those awesome Leos =P

The industry certainly has a gay market and I think Madonna successfully taped into that market. It has been quoted as saying "that she is a very clever business woman"

Madonna will die a gay icon and good for her, I remember when she broke onto the pop scene back in the 80's with such energy, that she still has today.

She didn't like most pop acts stay the same, her image changed along with the years (look at Kylie, she's done the same)

I think I am reiterating what most have said really but love her or hate her, she has done great work with global charities

Xyxthumbs

Whilst I appreciate that Madonna is a driven woman, who has been responsible for massive record sales, her music has never moved me beyond finding some of her work interesting. She may be an icon, but not all of us old people worship at the altar Wink