Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man is the filthiest animal on the planet
And it doesn't look as if he is going to get any cleaner:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/worlds-ocean...pollution/
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

why are we not developing technology to dump this waste on another planet already? i don't get it.

meridannight Wrote:why are we not developing technology to dump this waste on another planet already? i don't get it.

What, and pollute someone else's environment?

Recycle......

Londoner. I understand how you feel when you see this -- but don't get too down on "Man" as the worst of anything without remembering all the good shit "Man" is responsible for.

We are the only species that not only adopts the orphans of our own species but also orphans from other species.

Literature, Art and Music.

And I don't even have my thinking cap on. Yeah, as a species we can mess things up sometimes... but I'm not going to curse everyone for the mistakes of a few.

LONDONER Wrote:What, and pollute someone else's environment?

whose environment? who's gonna go live on Jupiter? that atmosphere would probably compress and melt the plastics in a nanosecond. free trash recycler provided by nature.

meridannight Wrote:whose environment? who's gonna go live on Jupiter? that atmosphere would probably compress and melt the plastics in a nanosecond. free trash recycler provided by nature.

You didn't specify which planet and we still don't know which planets in the universe are inhabited or not. Whatever, we shouldn't push our dirty laundry in to someone else's space. We should learn how not to mess things up in the first place. Have you considered how many billions of dollars it would cost to blast the billions of tons of waste that humans generate, in to space?

Virge: I do recycle as much as I am able and I try not to buy stuff that has excessive packaging. I may not be the greenest person on this planet but I try. Plastic in ther oceans is very worrying since as the article says, it is ingested buy all sorts of fish and is passed down the food chain.

meridannight Wrote:why are we not developing technology to dump this waste on another planet already? i don't get it.

I'm guessing it's still too expensive to launch it all into space, but it wouldn't surprise me if we do that at some point.

Filthy hu-mons!

LONDONER Wrote:You didn't specify which planet and we still don't know which planets in the universe are inhabited or not. Whatever, we shouldn't push our dirty laundry in to someone else's space. We should learn how not to mess things up in the first place. Have you considered how many billions of dollars it would cost to blast the billions of tons of waste that humans generate, in to space?

Virge: I do recycle as much as I am able and I try not to buy stuff that has excessive packaging. I may not be the greenest person on this planet but I try. Plastic in ther oceans is very worrying since as the article says, it is ingested buy all sorts of fish and is passed down the food chain.

Technically, it is possible to completely deconstruct anything. But that would also cost billions of dollars. The metals in technology should be isolated and reused, but that would also cost billions.
I don't think sending our waste away to another planet is a solution. We can't give every person a laptop if we keep sending their old crappy laptops to the moon. There won't be enough materials left on earth.

Plastics are bad, although mostly inert. All litter should be opposed, but throwing around numbers like tonnage is meaningless and statistically dishonest.

What percentage of the mass of the oceans is plastic detritus?

What percentage of the coastal areas (even of the inhabited coasts) is significantly polluted?

Where are the highest concentrations of plastic pollution found in the marine environment?

What specific impacts are the residues making?

How much effort is required to clean up the plastic?

What countries have passed laws to turn it around?

Just wringing hands is useless. Get facts that are accurate and relevant. Then, move out.

(As for other planets, wishful thinking. We couldn't even keep Superman's arch enemies trapped in that dimensional warp prison thingy. You KNOW trash will just be blown back into our faces by the first black hole that whips it back into our sector. DUH!)