Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manson's still got it
i got into Marilyn Manson just after i'd gotten out of high school, and it were his song lyrics actually that motivated me to check him out and listen to him more thoroughly. his music was an instant revelation to my life after i did it. i went on to inadvertently turn a number of friends and acquaintances to his music, guys who had earlier been off-put or held a certain prejudiced view on what exactly it was that he did.

that was some ten years ago. i have all his albums, and i think he is one of the most talented artists alive.

i hadn't listened to him for a long time meanwhile though. and today i was in a records store and i got his brand new The Pale Emperor.

[Image: 9483689.jpg]

the album is not your usual Manson. it is still undeniably Manson, but he has evolved. the music has attained a certain maturity (not that it was the opposite of that before, it's just more of it there now) and depth. it has a whole new quality to it there that wasn't in his work before. he has fine-tuned it and the outcome is something surprisingly new and unique, and quite undefinable. it is a calmer music, more stable, and more grounded. the combination of this and his elemental musical design is extraordinary. it amazes me. moreover, the music is exactly in sync with where i am in life and mind.

i have to say i did not expect this side from him. it's a whole new angle on him, while retaining his core self, and while gaining in quality at the same time. truly amazing. this guy is a genius.

even if you don't like Manson, i recommend to check out his new album. it's an experience in its own right.

a couple of songs from the album i think are noteworthy examples:

''Do I look civilized to you?''

Hey, glade you like the album, never really listen to much mansion myself outside a AntichristSuperstar, but if you say this new album is good, i might check it out

do check it out [MENTION=14551]jaxc[/MENTION].

i did some research and turns out the music is a collaboration between Manson and Tyler Bates, a long-time film score writer (among his work is a score for John Wick, for example. curiously the film was also one of my latest discoveries and an instant favorite of mine). music on Manson's new album was recorded unconventionally (for Manson) in Bates' home studio without Manson's manager even knowing he was recording new material. the latter heard the music when most of the tracks had already been recorded. and Manson was given a lot more freedom to improvise with his vocals than on his last major studio releases.

now i understand how it is so strikingly different from anything Manson has ever done, and yet, how it is still essentially him. it makes sense. Bates' film score approach/background is felt, the music does feel like a soundtrack playing under your life. and at the same time Manson hasn't lost its edge. not by far. the drive and the power that are the defining currents through his earlier work haven't gone anywhere. they're subtler and more controlled, but all there.

this has got to be one of the best musical collaborations i've ever heard. the whole is greater than the sum of its parts here. i am still listening to it and i can't believe what i'm hearing. i haven't had such an intense musical revelation in quite some time.

I love Manson and all his albums. Most people just think he is a typical shock rocker because of his looks, but his lyrics are some of the best around.

I like Deep Six and Third day of a seven day binge.

Albie Wrote:I love Manson and all his albums. Most people just think he is a typical shock rocker because of his looks, but his lyrics are some of the best around.

yeah, he's more than just a show and looks. he has substance behind what he does.

Cuddly Wrote:I like Deep Six and Third day of a seven day binge.

both are very good. the whole 10 tracks on the album is top quality music. but Third Day of a Seven Day Binge has a special place for me too. it's kind of hypnotic, can't get enough of it.

an acoustic version on the Third Day of a Seven Day Binge:

absolutely stunning music!

All his albums have a different sound. Like he doesn't just repeat the same thing over and over. Personally my favorite is Holy Wood, but I can listen to them all.

I am one of the old farts here but liked this one when it came out.