Rate Thread
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marriage equality just won a HUGE battle!!!!
Congrats, U.S.A. Beerchug

As expected

Quote:GOP governors vow to ignore Supreme Court on gay marriage

“You can’t do that in the state of Kansas,” said Nancy Escalante, supervisor for marriage licenses at the court. “Our application says ‘man and woman.’ The Legislature has not changed it.”

http://americablog.com/2014/10/several-g...riage.html

Republican governors decry same-sex marriage ruling but acknowledge change in law [theguardian.com live blog 6 Oct 2014]

Neanderthals.

Thank heaven governors don't hold much influence in the courts.

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Other things to think about!!!!!!!!!

What happens in a month?
The 2014 elections
How will this impact the elections?
In the five states this relates to you can bet conservatives are already using the lack of SCOTUS action to rally their supporters to fight back the imaginary invading hoardes of gays trying to get married. Those states are most likely going more conservative than ever.
Will it effect other elections besides those five states?
Bet on it.

Thanks to Ljay & Palbert for explaining everything to Merdian

I think this may cause a nasty response from the bigots in these states.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

As far as the upcoming elections are concerned, I'm optimistic about it.

Today's results have dealt a terrible blow to those social conservatives who go to the polls every year to insure the LGBT community doesn't gain any ground in the pursuit of equality. If they are reading the news, they will know that they are loosing this fight and there's really nothing more they can do. There is no one they can vote for and no new amendments on the ballots that can change this tidal wave. I think they will be so demoralized by this loss that they will throw up their hands and say "why bother voting when my vote doesn't mean anything anymore". Remember, most of these social conservative voters were the one's who came out in hoards on voting day when they got the opportunity to amend their state constitution making sure that marriage remained as a union between one man & one woman. They thought their vote was rock solid and couldn't be challenged or changed,,,, and right now they are asking each other why their vote has been invalidated. Has God abandoned them!!!! This issue has demoralized them and I don't think they will come out in hoards this time. Well,,, that's what I'm hoping for.

PS. I am talking about social Conservatives (values voters)(Right Wing Christian Conservative Bible Thumping voters),,,,,,, not your regular Conservatives who are generally nice open minded people who happen to like the Republican ideas of small government & lower taxes... Just wanted to clear that up before I got beat over the head for putting all Conservatives into the same gas chamber. (smile)...
We Have Elvis !!

ceez Wrote:I think this may cause a nasty response from the bigots in these states.

I expect that too. Here's how I feel about this. They are the ones who are trying to reinvent the legal system to protect something they are hallucinating gays are going to destroy... but if you look at what they've done with marriage all by themselves it shows how Ducking Fumb they are.

Run to the mall and buy them a bunch of GET OVER IT cards.

jimcrackcorn Wrote:As far as the upcoming elections are concerned, I'm optimistic about it.

Today's results have dealt a terrible blow to those social conservatives who go to the polls every year to insure the LGBT community doesn't gain any ground in the pursuit of equality. If they are reading the news, they will know that they are loosing this fight and there's really nothing more they can do. There is no one they can vote for and no new amendments on the ballots that can change this tidal wave. I think they will be so demoralized by this loss that they will throw up their hands and say "why bother voting when my vote doesn't mean anything anymore". Remember, most of these social conservative voters were the one's who came out in hoards on voting day when they got the opportunity to amend their state constitution making sure that marriage remained as a union between one man & one woman. They thought their vote was rock solid and couldn't be challenged or changed,,,, and right now they are asking each other why their vote has been invalidated. Has God abandoned them!!!! This issue has demoralized them and I don't think they will come out in hoards this time. Well,,, that's what I'm hoping for.

PS. I am talking about social Conservatives (values voters)(Right Wing Christian Conservative Bible Thumping voters),,,,,,, not your regular Conservatives who are generally nice open minded people who happen to like the Republican ideas of small government & lower taxes... Just wanted to clear that up before I got beat over the head for putting all Conservatives into the same gas chamber. (smile)...

I agree with your message CornJackercracker < (forgive my warped need to warp names)

But you're missing something....

Contrary to what people like to think....
the primary principle of true conservatism is individual freedom and self determination. The only threat to freedom and self determination is an overreaching and too powerful government. The best way to avoid that is spread the power out as thin as possible to prevent too much power being concentrated in the hands of a few.

Therefore........

"Social Conservatives" who want government to dictate how people how other people run their lives aren't conservatives at all. They want the government to be a tool to impose their will upon other people. What "social conservatives" really are is closet theocrats in favor of forming a nation around their religious beliefs... Freedom? Self Determination? HA!

The recent news on the BBC radio was that now many more states are allowing same sex marriages to go through. I hope this is true in effect and that people stop saying disparaging things against equality of rights and stop protesting to get these new acquired rights 'wronged' again. In any case, it all sounds rather positive. Let our American friends here tell us how it's actually going.

jimcrackcorn Wrote:As far as the upcoming elections are concerned, I'm optimistic about it.

The older folks, those who actually vote, are gradually dying out, and with them go old ways of thinking. It's the young ones that should now be helping decide what kind of nation you and they want to live in. It'll be a hard sell to try and get them to buy all the unequal crap others have been feeding us. A good thing too.
Where there might be worry is if new comers to the States (new immigration) with antiquated values become too loud voices, but is that likely to happen? Sometimes former immigrants can be more protective and conservative than the people who've lived in the country from generations before.