Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matam...very interesting.
This is just a thought that crossed my mind as I was watching a documentary a while ago. I hope I don't come across as strange...

So I just got done watching a documentary on Matam, it is a ritual or celebration of Shia Muslims in India. As I was watching the film, I came to the conclusion that not many "God-Fearing" people have that level of faith or dedication. As I look at and study more indigenous beliefs. I have come to realize that indigeous beliefs carry much more faith and dedication then most God or Christian based beliefs, not including Santeria, Voodoo, or Nimanao.

Mind you, I am not saying no christians have faith (youshouldmeetmyauntandmom). I just don't think that many would go to such religous extremes. I have much respect for any faith and it's followers that do adhere by it's religious rules.

Oh, and I am not any particular religion. Just me. :tongue:

Is it not something to do with the kind of society in which we live? If we live in a place where everything is available to us maybe we don't need to store up things in heaven or in some other hoped for future "existence" quite so much?

Unless a belief system coerces its followers to go along with a certain form of activity I think the extreme examples are probably only generally followed by a minority. I know many Brazilians, none of whom (to the best of my knowledge) are into candomble. I also know a few Cubans, but again only one who has undergone initiation within santerian ritual.