Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mugabe's tyranny continues...
I love being African but I'm so grateful that I'm South African.Robert Mugabe has been the president of Zimbabwe for the past 21 years and he absolutely refuses to let go.The old pepaw has managed to intimidate opposition party,MDC,into dropping out from tomorrow's run-off presidential elections.Th is means that Mugabe will be the only candidate running for president.Even more disappointing is seeing his supporters cheering him on at his rallies.

wasnt there some suggestion that he would agree to some power sharing scheme?

I didnt hear the details...

How many of those supporters are true supporters, and not just people cheering him because they are too scared to do otherwise.

He's worse than Saddam if you ask me... but since Zimbabwe ain't got the oil nor has international terrorism.. then western govts (ie Britain / America) don't give a damn.

It's truly shocking watching the news and seeing what that monster's goons have done to people supporting the opposition, and not even caring what they do whether the victims are old, young, male, female.

Well said.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Too right, Dan. It is a sickening and distressing situation. Morgan Richard Tsvangirai and his supporters have been through so much over the years, it is awful to see him withdraw at the last moment. We can only guess what took him right up to the brink like this.

Peter Tatchell has done many extraordinary things during his life, but his attempted citizen's arrest of Robert Mugabe (while Mugabe was in London doing some shopping) in 1999 has got to be one of the bravest and most foolhardy http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/496096.stm
Doubtless, many people would still be alive today had he been successful.

Dan, Thabo Mbeki has come in for some criticism for allegedly failing to apply pressure on the Zimbabwean government to change direction. His Guardian article of some years ago http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/may...we.comment makes for interesting reading, but I wondered if you felt that South Africa could or should do more?

IMO,Thabo Mbeki tends to favour being very polite instead of adopting a more hands on approach that is needed in African politics.Honestly though Derek,I'm so fucking tired of the world expecting us to be Zimbabwe's problems,we have more than enough shit of our own.Yes,Thabo could try harder to use his influence but we just can't spend any more resources on Zim.I think you're aware of the recent xenophobic attacks on Zimbabweans living in SA which goes to frustration that many SAns have.

It will go on and on unfortunately unless people form organised groups to defend themselves and resist the attackers. They need a movement against Mugabe and his dogs. The only way to free themselves is to take the situation on their hands OR the other political party must use against him the same techniques Mugabe use to spread fear. I dont think the West will do anything about it and if they do then the price wont be nothing...will be a big something! Revolution is next to evolution.

Mind you,Mugabe just bought a whole shipment of weapons a while back.So I'm guessing that it was his back up plan.I'm hoping that he doesn't use those weapons on his people.Oh,I also have an ex-girlfriend living in Zimbabwe.I haven't spoken to her as yet.

Dan1089 Wrote:IMO,Thabo Mbeki tends to favour being very polite instead of adopting a more hands on approach that is needed in African politics.Honestly though Derek,I'm so fucking tired of the world expecting us to be Zimbabwe's problems,we have more than enough shit of our own.Yes,Thabo could try harder to use his influence but we just can't spend any more resources on Zim.I think you're aware of the recent xenophobic attacks on Zimbabweans living in SA which goes to frustration that many SAns have.
Yes, I understand this. All very unfortunate.

Dan1089 Wrote:Mind you,Mugabe just bought a whole shipment of weapons a while back.So I'm guessing that it was his back up plan.I'm hoping that he doesn't use those weapons on his people.Oh,I also have an ex-girlfriend living in Zimbabwe.I haven't spoken to her as yet.
Didn't he say recently that he would declare war if he didn't get re-elected?

I don't recall him making such a threatening statement but he did say something about only God being able to stop him from becoming president.