Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music for school girls?
I have a new class (all girls from the local slums, all extremely tough and rebelious) and a good start is always essential.

That is why I always start school year with the music archive activity: they have to listen to 100 mp3 files and organize them. Simple and fun.

The question is: what songs should I choose? What do girls listen to these days?

I'm going to include some erudite music (Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart) as well, but I have to sweeten the pill and motivate them.

One Direction, Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus are obvious choices but I need more.

Any tips?

What is their age?

SilverFrost Wrote:What is their age?

16 - 19 y. o.

How about introducing them, for example, my favorite band called Nightwish (most likely many of them already know the band,I'm quite sure)? If you are not familiar with the band, here's some examples from their first, second and newest singer:

Era of Tarja Turunen (1996-2005):

Era of Anette Olzen (2007-2012):
The master piece of Tuomas Holopainen (the creator of Nightwish, no, he IS Nightwish) IMO

Era of Floor Jansen (2013- ):

Oh god. No Miley Cirus or Justin Bieber, please!!! Give them something good! Something that will stimulate them instead of numb their brains with horrible, horrible disney-machine-made child celebrities. Maybe some New Wave? New Order is spectacular. The Cranberries, also, are great for teenage girls, I don't care what era you were born in. The Cure, too. Totally respect your classical music decision. Hip-hop, too, I think lots of kids love that stuff. Maybe some TLC- Waterfalls.. Something that sends a good message. Kids these days listen to the radio, which is full of crap, crap music. Gosh, Deerhoof is fun. Bjork... I'm trying to think of bands with female singers. A.P.P.L.E. lol. Credence Clearwater Revival (not female singer, but very very good)... Neil Young... Johnny Cash (the clean stuff)... Get a good spread going. Influence them, you know? Don't submit them to bad radio just because it's "popular".

Hip-hop would be good. I'm not knowledgeable enough about it to recommend anything besides TLC and Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise. Snoop Doggy Dogg?

Good Luck!