Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Computer Hates Me!
I went wireless on Tuesday with a new install of Telephone and Broadband with Virgin Media.
I hadn't had my PC connected to the internet for a while and there were something like 86 windows updates to download and install.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.

There is currently a black exclamation mark in a yellow shield on the Shut Down tab which automatically installs windows updates that have been automatically downloaded, However, I'm getting worrying messages upon reboot...

"Preparing to configure Windows" then "Configuring windows updates 0% complete. Do not turn off your computer." this particular message lasts an age. Then I get "Failure configuring windows updates Reverting changes DO not turn off your computer".

I let it do its thing but now the last few times the computer couldn't start and I got a message I've never seen before about Start Up Repair or something. I get an option to start the computer normally or to allow start up repair. Start up repair takes ages so I power down at the off switch (I know - big no-no! but nothing else I can do) and start things normally.

Should I leave the repair screen to do its thing even though there's a blank screen and nothing happening? I get impatient after 20 or so minutes.

I'm not at all technically minded and can see this costing me a lot to take to a shop to sort out - unless any of you guys can figure it out!

HELP!

I lost you at "install"

I just usually thump the magic box and something happens, try that!

LOL thanks anyway, partisan, but I think I'll wait a while for more replies!

No need, just thump it... TRUST ME Computerprobs :p

86 Updates is a very, very, large amount. I suggest you use the option to "start your computer normally" and then download the updates manually - a few at a time. I would recommend you turn off the "automatic updates" until you have manually installed the majority of those updates.

Hope this helps
Jim

Call tech support. I had a similar problem, called tech support and they helped me out!!

I second installing the updates manually. Boot up normal, and from your start menu, under applications, look for "Windows Update". Run that and see what happens. If all else fails, you can run the repair application and just wait -- but it may be completely un-needed.

Switch to a Mac? hahaha just kidding, but seriously, best thing I've ever done.

Call tech support. Repairing it by yourself gives a lot more room for failure. Even a guy from India knows more over the phone than the average user in these situations.

Thanks everyone who responded.

Things went from bad to worse. I asked a friend if he would help me remotely but then I couldn't get back online!

In the end I took it to a repair shop who for £40 backed up all my data, formatted the PC and reinstalled Windows 7.

I brought it back home an hour ago and as you can see, I'm up and running.

Maybe now I'll edit my profile and make it less verbous or add some pics of Liverpool which I think you'll love and hopefully will make you want to visit the city... and hey, if you ever want a free tour guide!

I know how to solve your problem!!!

Buy an Apple!!!!

Your welcome! Cat