Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Cousin
My cousin was involved in a car crash in February 2016. He was in a coma for months and since he's woke up last June he's had so many operations to fix his face. He came home in February this year, exctally one year after the accident. He's brain damaged but still smiles when he sees me, he hasn't lost his wicked sense of humour. He's only 19 but I admire him, he's been though so much but never Moans about it. I am so proud of him. I just wanted to share this with you guys.
An eye for an eye

I could only imagine how heart breaking it would be to watch someone you love go through this sort of trauma and knowing that everything has changed.

I could only imagine the relief to find that glimmer of 'sameness', and see that strength is something as simple as a smile or a joke.

I hope it is all uphill in his recovery from here on in and there are a little as possible hurdles.

Thank you for sharing this deeply personal aspect of your life.

I've heard a similar story from a ted talk girl.

She, a gifted child, was in a really bad accident at 19 and her IQ dropped in 2 standard deviations because of the brain damage. After that, she was taken out of college. 'Having your identity taken from you, your core identity, and for me it was being smart, there's nothing that leaves you feeling more powerless than that,' she said.

Her persistence and optimism lead her to a successful social psychologist. People thrive in adversity; I'm sure your cousin too as he has a strong, remarkable mental toughness.

Good luck to him!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!