Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Cute Froggy <3
Now you've all seen my Lovely Turtle Sora and my Pet Snails and now I shall introduce you to my Brown Tree Frog(Litora Ewingii), Lily :3. (Also known as Whistling Tree Frogs)

She's not as social as Sora and my Pet Snails, but she will be if you have a small bug on your hand/arm :p . If bred in captivity, they can acclimitize to human touches, but wild frogs don't like for humans to touch them.

Plus, they're very itty bitty, the biggest only growing about 60mm and that's rare. They usually grow to be about 45mm. So you have to be gentle when handling them.

They're found usually in New Zealand, Austrailia, Bermuda, and any other place that has still water Rofl , but these places are where they can be found in abundence and kept without a license. I'm not sure about other places, as these seem to be the most popular places for these frogs to be found.

Anywho, without further ado :3 .
She's in a temporary "tank" until I can set-up a proper tank for her and I have to grow some water vines in the tank, so that's probably take about a month or so :p .

(Ignore my snailies in the background :p)
[Image: IMG_0803.jpg]

She was like, "I'm watching you mommy" Wink
[Image: IMG_0807.jpg]

"Ack!, I've been spotted!" :tongue:
[Image: IMG_0804.jpg]

*Bounce* "Ha! Mommy can't see me now!"
[Image: IMG_0809.jpg]

"Oh no, he can see me! Mommy... stop looking!"
[Image: IMG_0811.jpg]

"Aw, Mommy got me on his iPod. Oh well :p "
[Image: IMG_0812.jpg]

"Peek-a-Boo Mommy Kiss3 "
[Image: IMG_0813.jpg]

I can't wait to get her new tank all set up, cause this one looks so drab. I also have to find her a boyfriend, cause she's probably lonely, even with me there to play with her and the snailies. (Sora would probably eat her :o) . Theres a few baby roaches in there, but she just picks them off, one by one :p.

Hope you enjoyed those pics :p . I would take her out, but I got no bugs for to eat off me. Cry My pill bugs(they live with my snails) haven't had babies yet, cause it's not the right time for it. I would feed her some of the babies and let the rest live Smile .

Ps. Incase y'all wanted to see one up close, I googled one for you. This one's brown like Lily, but they can be green sometimes or pale white.
[Image: mn000997.jpg]

Awwww.

Where I used to work we had a big pond set up in the center of the nursery and every spring bullfrogs would come from a near by creek and lay their eggs in the pond. My boss hated it because we'd end up with all these tiny frogs all over the place but I loved it because they're were so damn cute.

My boss liked to ask me to kill things for her and I always refused. That was one of the reasons I quit actually. I'm not cool wih killing for the sake of her perceived profit. She asked me to kill birds, fish, honey bees, frogs. Looking back it just makes me hate her even more =/

Thibideau Wrote:Awwww.

Where I used to work we had a big pond set up in the center of the nursery and every spring bullfrogs would come from a near by creek and lay their eggs in the pond. My boss hated it because we'd end up with all these tiny frogs all over the place but I loved it because they're were so damn cute.

My boss liked to ask me to kill things for her and I always refused. That was one of the reasons I quit actually. I'm not cool wih killing for the sake of her perceived profit. She asked me to kill birds, fish, honey bees, frogs. Looking back it just makes me hate her even more =/

:o . People who kill animals here, are not very well liked people. We're literally surrounded by wild life, so we respect them. If she were here, she would've Disappeared... j/k, were not the mafia, but she probably wouldn't have many friends :/ .

We don't have bull frogs, mostly tree frogs and aquatic frogs, but I love them all anyway Kiss3 . At my old house, I had a small pond in the backyard and had a couple of turtles (including Sora) and fish in there and frogs would come lay their eggs in the pond. They also ate all the mosquitos and their eggs/babies, so that was a plus :p. I love amphibians, especially turtles, and I want to make a big sanctuary one day, after I've completed my Music Degree.

Lily says thanks by the way, for sticking up for her Froggy pals :p .

:o . I actually just found another frog like 5mins ago, but he's just a juvenile :| .

Lily would eat him, cause he's smaller than her :o . I tried to take a picture, but he hopped of my hand and landed somewhere :p. He was a very white-ish colour, which is semi-unusual :3.

Smile
I've found their sound
http://amphibiaweb.org/cgi/amphib_query?...es=ewingii

My sis had an European Green Toad in her garden
http://www.biolib.cz/en/taxonsoundclip/id24/ (sound)
Last year the female laid black eggs (thousands of them) in the pond and I got some and fed those little tadpoles for weeks. But they never got out of their "legless" stage. I am not sure why. After a month I poured the water (and them) to the pond. I have no idea yet if they survived, but they didn't seem to like to be in a tank *sigh*

We also have some Pelophylax ridibundus around here in medows and natural ponds. I am sure I and my neighbours wouldn't want to have one in our gardens LOL

Your interest in unusual animals as pets intrigues me. Keep it up Wink

Nick9 Wrote:Smile
I've found their sound
http://amphibiaweb.org/cgi/amphib_query?...es=ewingii

My sis had an European Green Toad in her garden
http://www.biolib.cz/en/taxonsoundclip/id24/ (sound)
Last year the female laid black eggs (thousands of them) in the pond and I got some and fed those little tadpoles for weeks. But they never got out of their "legless" stage. I am not sure why. After a month I poured the water (and them) to the pond. I have no idea yet if they survived, but they didn't seem to like to be in a tank *sigh*

We also have some Pelophylax ridibundus around here in medows and natural ponds. I am sure I and my neighbours wouldn't want to have one in our gardens LOL

That's awesome :3 . I wish we had big frogs like those :o .

Our biggest one is the Warty Toad :p .

I've never raised tadpoles before, so I can't say, but I'm going to learn, cause once Lily gets a boyfriend, It's going to go down :biggrin: .

Although once, when I had to catch guppies for Sora as a baby(well, not baby,baby) I happened to pick up a few tadpoles, that she also ate :o Smile .

dfiant Wrote:Your interest in unusual animals as pets intrigues me. Keep it up Wink

Thanks Kiss3 .

It's not that unusual here. The weirdest pet I ever kept, that's not very common, is a Fire Belly Newt, but if I had to list all the animals I've owned, we'd be here for awhile :p.

But I like the "unusual" animals, cause someone has to. I like Snails and Slugs and Caterpillars and what not, cause they're fascinating.

I feel sorry for my BF when he comes along, cause he's getting a Zoo too Rofl .

Not even my uncle likes to touch them, and he's a self-proclaimed "tough guy" Smile .

QueenOdi Wrote:cause once Lily gets a boyfriend, It's going to go down :biggrin: .
What's making you believe that you are the perfect matchmaker and you'll find her Mr.Right so easily? :biggrin:

Do you have a saying that frogs can fortell weather? Smile

We do. They say you need to put a Hyla arborea in a tank
http://www.biolib.cz/en/taxon/id327/
and to give her a small ladder LOL If she climbs up and stays there it will be sunny :biggrin:
I am not sure if it works :biggrin:

QueenOdi Wrote:a Fire Belly Newt,

They are so cute! We have several species too, but I've never seen them myself Sad

We also have a fire salamander
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Salamander

Never seen him *sigh*