Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Zoo Friends[Animals] <3
Hey guys, just thought I'd show you a quick snippet of the animals I take care of. I'll probably update from time to time.

I don't take care of many, I'm still the newest staff, and am still in training so all the "dangerous" animals are taken care of by experienced staff.

But anyway, I love the babies I get to take care of, so there :tongue: .

This is our lone Male Peacock. Everyone takes care of him, but I like to sit with him in the morning Smile .
[Image: IMG_1538.jpg]

This is one of our 4 Tomato Frogs. I take care of the one's that are not on exhibit, so basically... this guy, and his pal.
[Image: IMG_1539.jpg]

And these are my loves! Their names are Crooks & Sally, Crooks being the larger male and Sally, the smaller female.

Crooks is short for crooked-nose, because he has a cleft pallete, connecting his nose to his mouth with no gap in between. He's fine now though. He weighs 450lbs and Sally is 250lbs. Crooks is 95 and Sally is 45, but they'll live to be around 200.

Crooks has been at the Zoo since it's inception. :biggrin:

I love them!!! [These are pics from about 3hrs ago, when I cleaned their pond and fed them breakfast.]
[Image: IMG_1541.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1542.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1543.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1544.jpg]

Omg, don't look at my hair, it's filthy from cleaning the flipping exotic bird exhibit!! I had little twigs sticking out and even a feather at one point! :eek:

So yeah, They loved their necks rubbed, cause in the Galapagos[where they're from], Finches feed off parasites on their necks, and so they raise their necks instinctually. It puts them in a trance, and let's us examine them for any signs of trauma or illness.

<3

That is so awesome! Beats what I do for a living :tongue:

santaberry Wrote:That is so awesome! Beats what I do for a living :tongue:

Well, I guess it depends on whether or not you love what you do.

I absolutely love taking care of the animals and educating people... but I hate cleaning up! lol Rofl .

The cutest animals there, make the most waste!! :mad:

On monday is when I start taking lessons from a Vet Tech, who's going to be working with us Smile .

QueenOdi Wrote:... but I hate cleaning up ...
actually a fairly clean task
we eat animals, wish you didnt, most or all of the viral bacteria is dis associated

pellaz Wrote:actually a fairly clean task
we eat animals, wish you didnt, most or all of the viral bacteria is dis associated

Well, it seems like it should be a fairly clean task... but when you actually have to do it, your eyes will open in more than one way lol.

Well, though these animals are edible(to some degree), most animals have viruses and pathogens that are sometimes unoticable in the human body, but some animals are chemically altered for human consumption, so technically, even if we do eat animals, they still have to be cleaned.

It can't be escaped :p

OMG Thank you so much for sharing my Bermudan son.
They are all gorgeous, I can't believe how cute Crooks is , so loveable. ( give him a huge hug for me)

I always wanted a pet turtle , but the protected here .

awesome pics for sure. good share.

Lovely and majestic animals Odi ^^ thank you for sharing your experience with them Smile

QueenOdi Wrote:So yeah, They loved their necks rubbed, cause in the Galapagos[where they're from], Finches feed off parasites on their necks, and so they raise their necks instinctually. It puts them in a trance, and let's us examine them for any signs of trauma or illness.

<3

u should try give them an oral massage too..if know what i mean heheheh

nice to see ur enjoying urself, u've got a really awesome job Big Grin

Rainbowmum Wrote:OMG Thank you so much for sharing my Bermudan son.
They are all gorgeous, I can't believe how cute Crooks is , so loveable. ( give him a huge hug for me)

I always wanted a pet turtle , but the protected here .

You're welcome Aussie Mom Smile. Crooks is majorly cute, but he sometimes scares young children, plus, because of his cleft pallete, he kind of breathes alittle heavier than normal.

Technically, you can own a Galapagos Tortoise... But most people don't, due to their massive size, long life span and huge space requirements. But I think in some parts of the world you need a license anyway... :p.

ivorybenz Wrote:awesome pics for sure. good share.

Thanks Smile . It wasn't easy taking the second last pic lol. I think Crooks enjoyed the attention though Dazzler1 .

Niltra Wrote:Lovely and majestic animals Odi ^^ thank you for sharing your experience with them Smile

Majestic... More like Ancient Rofl . They are pretty amazing though. I seem to hang out with them more than anyone else... Even more than the guy who runs their exhibit :p.

No probs Nilts. I love sharing my knowledge and experience with people Smile.

TryingNewThing Wrote:u should try give them an oral massage too..if know what i mean heheheh

nice to see ur enjoying urself, u've got a really awesome job Big Grin

I believe the Neck rub is enough for Crooks lol. Let's just say he gets really ... excited sometimes when his neck is rubbed.

Thanks. I do love it. Very much Imu2