Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My favorite books.
I'm reading a german book at the moment called "Marsha Mellow und Ich" by Maria Beaumont - very very funny book Confusedmile:

Basically about the girl who works for a magazine. She has a gay mate, her dad is having an affair, her sister is in debt up to her eyeballs and her mum is a diehard religious freak heh. And she writes this novel with lots of sex and erotism in it... and it becomes the number 1 book in the country and everyone is talking about it and wanting to know who 'Marsha Mellow' is - but thats just her disguise name. It's very good so far Confusedmile:

My fav books are;
The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
Red Seas Under Red Skies - Scott Lynch
Lord of the Rings Trilogy - J.R.R. Tolkien
Harlequin - Bernard Cornwell
Vagabond - Bernard Cornwell
Heretic - Bernard Cornwell

Books? Books! Books? When was the last time I had time to read one?
A whole one, that is? Feels like ages ago. Was it in French, was it in English? Not quite sure. My baby gave me a boxed set of the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I think it was the last one I opened... It's still waiting for me to finish it.Oh dear! He, on the other hand has been reading loads of new things. Ask him.

I too havent read a full book in some time but more due to my crazy health and brain fog.

I would recommend anything by William S. Burroughs. He is the greatest beat poet and gay too. His writing is very original.

fjp999 Wrote:I too havent read a full book in some time but more due to my crazy health and brain fog.

I would recommend anything by William S. Burroughs. He is the greatest beat poet and gay too. His writing is very original.

Was it he who wrote Under the Sheltering Sky? or Earthly Powers?
Under the Sheltering Sky was made into a film by Bernardo Bertolucci, methinks, with John Malkovitch starring.
Confusedmile:

princealbertofb Wrote:Books? Books! Books? When was the last time I had time to read one?
A whole one, that is? Feels like ages ago. Was it in French, was it in English? Not quite sure. My baby gave me a boxed set of the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I think it was the last one I opened... It's still waiting for me to finish it.Oh dear! He, on the other hand has been reading loads of new things. Ask him.
Oh all right. Over the past two or three months I've enjoyed Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, Garth Nix's Old Kingdom Trilogy, The Islamist by Ed Hussain, The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I'm currently reading Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses. The fiction writer whose imagination has excited me most during the past year has to be Neil Gaiman. Neverwhere and The Ananci Boys are both quite brilliantly original.

I love the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett, I've read a dozen of them. I find them both clever and absurd.

XRIMO Wrote:Well, its not really a book. But I love Euripides' Bacchae. I like all the plays by Aeschylus, Sophacles and Euripides.
Also the Iliad and Odyssey.
For the hell of if, I'll throw in Virgil's Aeniad.

Aeneid is better.
besides, the odyssey was just written by Homer, it was somthing passed on orally.
did you know that Virgils dying wish was for the Aeneid to be burnt?

more recent books i like = Memoirs of a Geisha, IT, of mice and men, Inkheart/inkspell, pretty much all of Torey Hayden's books, Desperation, some of Tess Gerrisens books, hellbent, the book of lost things, some of Darren Shans books, The Hand of the Devil, Monser, the Narnia series, Roald Dahls books including his short story collections.
i'm gonna stop there because i could go on.
an entire wall of my room is dedicated to books. then of course there is the wall down in the office covered with books, then the shelfs in the sitting room which is really long then all the other books just dotted around the house randomly.

CD. Wrote:...
i'm gonna stop there because i could go on.
an entire wall of my room is dedicated to books. then of course there is the wall down in the office covered with books, then the shelfs in the sitting room which is really long then all the other books just dotted around the house randomly.

You live in a library, Alan... lol. Good for you for reading that much. It's always an eye/heart opener, isn't it?

Rolleyes

Just a few of mine:

By The River Piedra I Sat Down And Wept - Paulo Coelho
The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night Time - Mark Haddon
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
When I Was Five I Killed Myself - Howard Buten
The Catcher in The Rye - J.D. Salinger
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
How To Be Lost - Amanda Eyre Ward
The Valley of The Dolls - Jacqueline Susann
Me and Emma - Elizabeth Flock