Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My name is Michael
Dear OlderButWiser,

First of all, I like your profile name. Yes, hopefully the older we get the wiser we get. I am 61 and feel like I've been around the block a thousand times and yet I'm still learning new things every day.

Congrats on ten years together with your partner. That is wonderful. As I said, my wish is that every gay person can find their own true love.

Yes, I suppose that Spider and I were somewhat like pioneers in the struggle for gay rights, but we've never focused much on that. All we knew is that we loved each other and nothing was going to stand in our way.

No, we can't get married here in Arizona, however we had a ceremony a number of years ago where we held hands and jumped over a broom and married ourselves! And we both wear wedding rings. The inscription inside our rings says "Don't Forget." That was an expression we used back in the old days when we wanted to say "I love you" in public without drawing attention (Don't forget that I love you). It would be nice if we could get legally married here, but, again, after over 42 years, we feel like we are already married. The sad part for me is that Spider has lost a lot of weight due to the cancer and his ring often falls off, but in the end, it's not about a ring, it's what is in our hearts that counts.

Thanks for writing to me and for looking at my blog.

Again, thank you to all of you who have welcomed me. I'm glad I found this site.

Warmest Regards,
Michael

Hey Swalter.

Glad you enjoyed the photos.

A couple of years ago for our 40th anniversary, a friend in Canada made a little YouTube film using pics of us throughout the years and set them to one of our songs. If you'd like to see, simply go to YouTube and enter - Michael and Spider 1971 - 2011. I would give the link, but I guess I need to have 50 posts before I can do that. I'm still learning how this site works!

Hope yer having a nice week.

Michael

Michael - Hello and welcome to GS.

Hi Michael, today I'll be thinking of you and Spider and sending some warm thoughts your way. Congratulations on 42 years together!

-Doug

Hi Michael and welcome im new too jiji

Hello and welcome.

Michael - Congratulations on so many years together. So sad to learn of Spider's illness at the same time as you are joining this site. On Marriage - you can't get married in Arizona, perhaps, but you could in California, if you would want to - It's not too far away. A post like yours reminds us of our own mortality, and encourages us to live life to its fullest, as it seems you have. May the treatments Spider gets be not very debilitating, as I know chemo can be.

Welcome, Michael! I think I am approaching 42 *months* with my guy. You guys got us beat! I hope Spider's treatment goes as well as possible.

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story. Smile

michaelandspide Wrote:Thank you everyone for being so kind and welcoming. It means a lot to me.

My best to you all,
Michael

Welcome to the site and a HUGE congrats for being together with your partner for over four decades!