Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NC gay marriage + civil unions banned
U.S. news:

Linky

Quote:North Carolinians voted to change the state constitution Tuesday to say that the only valid "domestic legal partnership" in the state is marriage between a man and a woman, according to the AP's projection. The amendment passed 61 to 39 percent with most counties reporting, making North Carolina the 29th state with a gay marriage ban in its constitution.

The state already outlawed gay marriage, but the constitutional amendment makes it more difficult for politicians to ever change the law. The amendment also means that a handful of North Carolina municipalities that extended benefits to the domestic partners of their employees will no longer be able to do so, since marriage is now the only valid legal partnership in the state. Former President Bill Clinton urged the state's voters not to support the amendment in robocalls, while President Barack Obama's office said he was also against the change.

Supporters of gay marriage out-raised and out-advertised their opponents in the lead up to the vote, emphasizing in TV ads that the amendment could also have repercussions for unmarried straight couples because of its vague language. The anti-amendment coalition raised more than $2 million, according to campaign finance disclosures, most of which came from small and large individual donations. The pro-amendment crowd, called Vote for Marriage NC, raised a little more than $1 million, with most of the money being donated by nonprofit groups, not individuals.

Only 46 percent of voters realized that the amendment would ban civil unions for gay couples as well as marriage, according to a Public Policy Polling poll. A majority of North Carolina voters support civil unions.

Minnesota faces a ballot gay marriage ban in November, while Maine activists are hoping that residents have changed their minds and will vote to approve gay marriage this November after repealing its legalization in 2009. Lawmakers in Maryland, Washington and New Jersey passed laws legalizing same-sex marriage this year, though Gov. Chris Christie vetoed New Jersey's law.

Twat in a pot.

I am so sorry, guys and gals :frown:

yup, I thought that would happen. wouldn't want all the gays moving in turning there children queer Rolleyes
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

ceez Wrote:yup, I thought that would happen. wouldn't want all the gays moving in turning there children queer Rolleyes

Have you unpacked your suitcases yet? Wink

Good thing I'm not in NC or expecting to get married any time in my lifetime.

Nick9 Wrote:Have you unpacked your suitcases yet? Wink

lol, actually no, literally. I'm going down there on vacation this weekend :biggrin:
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Quote:Only 46 percent of voters realized that the amendment would ban civil unions for gay couples as well as marriage, according to a Public Policy Polling poll. A majority of North Carolina voters support civil unions.
No doubt the other 54% thought "Just as long as it protects marriage i don't care."
Well that's one win for the Christian Right.
No doubt in a rush to put as many of these fail-safes in place for when public opinion continues to become more liberal and their view is a minority one.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

ceez Wrote:lol, actually no, literally. I'm going down there on vacation this weekend :biggrin:

Give em hell.

Mrmatty376 Wrote:It's not just christians, although a majority of them are. It's you average asshole and douchebag.

I like to think people are blindly doing this because they've been told by more conservative Christians/jews/muslims/ETC that it's in line with their religion and that it's their duty as a member of that faith to vote for it than 50%+ of the population being assholes.

Though i wouldn't be surprised if some people were convinced that marriage between a man and a woman is the be-all end-all as the back bone of moral society, and all that other crap that has been spouted; regardless of their religion or lack thereof.
But meh,
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Make no mistake..the Bible is the culprit here.

Before I even thought about gay marriage...years before...my Grandmother died when I was 19 and when I drove up to attend the funeral my grandfather called me over for a secret meeting...he made me promise to NEVER repeat what he was about to tell me. This really strong and proud man was visibly shaking and reduced to tears and gibberish...he told me that the funeral home wanted the marriage certificate and he didnt' have it. I was relived initially and told him not to worry about it....they had been married for so many years I am sure that a lot of people can't find it. Then he said...deeply ashamed...that they were never married and he begged me never to let my mom know. He was worried about her dying without a proper marriage. He was tortured after that til his own death and it never even hit me what he meant when he said they "couldn't get married" til many years later. You see....my grandmother was biracial and obviously part African American and back then it was illegal for them to get married...

...and so I have asked many people who have their Bibles open quoting scripture...do they really think the people before them who quoted scripture to

Burn Witches
Slaughter the Indians and Steal their land
Keep Black people 2nd class citizens
Stop women from voting
Preventing Interracial Marriage

and now...preventing gay marriage....

Do they think the bastards that had their damn Bibles open to blame God for their bigotry...are they now all in heaven after causing so many people so much misery? After wrecking people's lives? And if they are in heaven...who he f*ck would want to sit next to them? They talk about hell and thanks to them we have hell .....on earth.

I have to practice not hating them because when they get you to hate them...they win because they drag you down to their level. It is hard work but the thought of them winning is not acceptable to me....for me...for my grandma...and grandpa...and everyone who ever suffered because of these Bible thumping a*sholes.

*rant over*
[-] The following 1 member Likes East's post:
  • InbetweenDreams