Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NC gay marriage + civil unions banned
I'm not going to argue about religion again. Frankly I'm tired of it. Sorry.

East Wrote:Make no mistake..the Bible is the culprit here.

Before I even thought about gay marriage...years before...my Grandmother died when I was 19 and when I drove up to attend the funeral my grandfather called me over for a secret meeting...he made me promise to NEVER repeat what he was about to tell me. This really strong and proud man was visibly shaking and reduced to tears and gibberish...he told me that the funeral home wanted the marriage certificate and he didnt' have it. I was relived initially and told him not to worry about it....they had been married for so many years I am sure that a lot of people can't find it. Then he said...deeply ashamed...that they were never married and he begged me never to let my mom know. He was worried about her dying without a proper marriage. He was tortured after that til his own death and it never even hit me what he meant when he said they "couldn't get married" til many years later. You see....my grandmother was biracial and obviously part African American and back then it was illegal for them to get married...

...and so I have asked many people who have their Bibles open quoting scripture...do they really think the people before them who quoted scripture to

Burn Witches
Slaughter the Indians and Steal their land
Keep Black people 2nd class citizens
Stop women from voting
Preventing Interracial Marriage

and now...preventing gay marriage....

Do they think the bastards that had their damn Bibles open to blame God for their bigotry...are they now all in heaven after causing so many people so much misery? After wrecking people's lives? And if they are in heaven...who he f*ck would want to sit next to them? They talk about hell and thanks to them we have hell .....on earth.

I have to practice not hating them because when they get you to hate them...they win because they drag you down to their level. It is hard work but the thought of them winning is not acceptable to me....for me...for my grandma...and grandpa...and everyone who ever suffered because of these Bible thumping a*sholes.

*rant over*
Unfortunately, the bible can and has been twisted to say just about anything.
Sorry, to hear about your grandparents. No one should be so haunted by something so...well...irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.:frownSadnot meant to come off as rude)
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Church and state... Shouldn't those be separated?
Sometimes you need a bit of chaos in your life to be able to shrug off pitiful disdain about something meaningless.

Zet Wrote:Church and state... Shouldn't those be separated?
you would think, but remember whenever "they" talk about "religious freedom" they really mean freedom for them, any body else can go screw themselves( something they tried to ban i think in Nevada, thankfully it didn't pass:biggrinSmile.

Shame on North Carolina. We should vote to strip some of their rights and see how they feel.

Thank you East for your post.
I am very sorry about your grandfather's feelings *hug*

What's next? An Orwellian police state where big brother is watching and if you're gay, you're gone?

I live in Massachusetts where gay marriage is legal (for now) and though my partner and I had not intended to get married, we are considering it now to protect my rights to his estate. (His idea and he is considerably older than I am)

It's sad about NC. Been there many times and it seems to be such a progressive state. Guess that's a mask it wears well.

Oh, and religion....ugh...someone had to go there so I will too. I am estranged from my entire immediate family and have given up involvement in a business that I love because of religion. Since I came out 5 years ago, the ONLY people in my life that have not accepted me are my parents and brother...and all because of religion. The power of religion is fierce in the wrong hands.

Anyway...shame on you NC.

the civil unions effort in Colorado (where i live) failed too
i think this is it till after the Obama re election is done.

Nick9 Wrote:Thank you East for your post.
I am very sorry about your grandfather's feelings *hug*

Thanks Nick....It made a deep and lasting imprint on me and to this day helps define my own set of values and my moral code which has EQUALITY as a primary part of the foundation.

Switch to today and gay people...a couple we knew and who were dear friends of ours and got together the same time we did moved away maybe 10 years ago and I lost contact with them maybe five years ago...I kept wondering what happened. They would have been together 26 years now as well.

I got a note and a subsequent email on facebook when I joined from one of the guys and I noticed he didn't have the other name and feared they had separated...I was used to getting emails with both of their names...and I found out they had a horrible accident and my one friend who I knew the longest even before they were together died...and the other guy lay paralyzed in a coma and unable to walk for six months afterward....he is still learning to walk again.

At the time...they had been together for over 20 years and when he awoke...he not only found out he lost his lover but he had no home...no belongings...nothing. Everything they owned and shared together had been taken by his lover's very religious family who felt entitled.

I watched also as so many men who died of AIDS had horrible atrocities committed against them and their partners at the single most devastating event in anyone;'s life. There is no excuse. The opposition LIES...they are deceitful and they are the ones who lack the moral integrity that they claim we lack...not to mention human kindness and compassion and then they actually claim to follow Jesus:eek:....they are evil people. I hate them but as always I will spend every last second I have if need be to bring myself to a place where I forgive them...I hate them more for the hard work I have to do each time they succeed. I cannot and will not forget about the people I know personally who have been harmed by their bigotry.

I m very sorry people , that totally sucks.
Looks like The Whore of Babylon has raised her seven diabolical heads again.