Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NICER DICER PLUS controversy
From what I've seen, most of those "as seen on tv" things never do what they're supposed to, basically a rip off.

My mom got that stupid cat toy one, "undercover cat" or something like that? Cat wouldn't even play with it, just watched it spin over and over. lol
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

A friend gave me a gizmo meant to chop things like that. It did not work well at all and was a mess to clean.

The classical answer is a mandoline and/or a chef's knife. Food processors can be helpful.

One major problem with the gadgets is that they are often not sturdy enough. Take a good look at a professional mandoline and you will see the difference immediately. You will also be able to use the pro tool for years and years. As for the chef's knife. Buy the best ony you can possibly afford. Learn to sharpen and care for it. Practice. You will soon learn what a miraculous tool it is.
I bid NO Trump!

I've tried lots of things as well but really the fastest way is just to know how to use a knife properly. Mandolines are also great!

LOL @ the vegematic vid posted by MisterTinkles. That's been around since the 60s, and was a lot different back then.

The vegematic used to be a horizontally set blade slightly raised above the top flat surface of the device. You slid the vegetable across and slices fell out the bottom through a slot.

With me so far? Good. We kids were frantic for one to try. Mom gave in and wrote the address from the TV ad. Six weeks later it arrived and we watched in hushed awe as Mom sliced a cucumber and then a tomatoe. I wanted to try it! On the TV and watching Mom, the slices came sliding out right at you from underneath the gadget!!!!

So they gave me a tomatoe and I slid it across...and nothing came out underneath towards me. (of course, you dummy Doug, the unit was facing AWAY from you) So, I tried again and again, harder, faster. Down that tomatoe went then Mom said, "Doug be careful.." just as, smoosh, part of my thumb served itself up on top of those tomatoe slices. Dad was in stitches. Blood was everywhere.

At dinner, Dad crunched into his salad and remarked,

'Mmmmmmm...I think I have a piece of thumb in mine'

*laughing, remembering*

Meet my friends...

[Image: 7085_XXX_v1.tif&wid=2000&cvt=jpeg] [Image: BM4501nw.jpg]

Granted, my issue has always been whatever clean up is involved afterwards has to be worth the convenience of the gadget. Most gadgets are a BITCH to clean.

For the most part, these infomercial kitchen gadgets are junk that no chef would be caught dead with. There is no substitute for a good chef's knife, and practiced skill. All those other gizmos and knives are garbage and should be avoided. They're made cheaply, with little attention to precision and quality. Those unconditional, lifetime replacement guarantees are a red flag that the item is of low quality. Spend 100 on a chef's knife, another 200 or so on a mandolin, and add a Cuisinart for another 200. Those 3 items will tackle any kitchen projects, and last a lifetime (provided you take care of them).

CellarDweller Wrote:From what I've seen, most of those "as seen on tv" things never do what they're supposed to, basically a rip off.

My mom got that stupid cat toy one, "undercover cat" or something like that? Cat wouldn't even play with it, just watched it spin over and over. lol
Lol I know that stupid spin thing. The best cat toy I've found is a laser pointer.

They show the knives & block and the various small kitchen appliances disappearing and replaced by the Nicer Dicer. Who is really going to throw out their knives? Are you going to haul that thing our and have to clean it if you only are only cutting one carrot or a stalk of celery? Most of us today are not cutting that much because we're only preparing meals for one or two people.

What is hilarious is when commercials show people flipping pancakes badly or cracking eggs very badly in order to sell something that makes that difficult task a little easier.

I like the ads for the latest miracle stain remover, where some klutz invariably spills a large tumbler of red wine on plush, white carpet, followed by a mob of filthy children and pets who come parading through.