Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Naked in front of strangers
Oddly, the inspiration for posting this link is/was one of Rareboy's less overtly sexual images.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/2014112...-strangers
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

For me...a lot of it depends on the circumstance. I think I could do it if the artists were just in to the drawing...or when I would go to the nude beach...if the other people were just into what THEY were doing...but I hate being cruised or critiqued...either positively or negatively...on my body or my appearance.....and if that is one of the circumstances...I would not feel comfortable.....

East Wrote:For me...a lot of it depends on the circumstance. I think I could do it if the artists were just in to the drawing...or when I would go tot he nude beach...if the other people were just into what THEY were doing...but I hate being cruised or critiqued...either positively or negatively...on my body or my appearance.....and if that is one of the circumstances...I would not feel comfortable.....

Believe me East, when you have a nude model in front of you in an art class, the last thing you are thinking about is criticising that person's physique. As the writer of the article said, the most interesting models are not those with perfect, buffed physiques but those with odd bodily quirks. I used to enjoy drawing rather fat ladies. There seemed to be so much more to get hold of, figuratively speaking of course. Maybe that's what inspired Rubens.

PS: In an art class nobody gets cruised.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I have sat for artists but not a group. I attended a gay men's drawing class years ago and to [MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION]'s point there were very strict rules about interacting with the model.

A friend of mine in college was the male model for art class. I asked what he thought about while he was up there, and he said "how not to fall asleep". Smile

I'd be terrible at it, just because I'm the sort of person who hates sitting still. I wouldn't mind somebody trying to draw my fat ass (or other body parts).

Lex

Lexington Wrote:A friend of mine in college was the male model for art class. I asked what he thought about while he was up there, and he said "how not to fall asleep". Smile

I'd be terrible at it, just because I'm the sort of person who hates sitting still. I wouldn't mind somebody trying to draw my fat ass (or other body parts).

Lex

Yes keeping still was a challenge. One of the artists was just practicing and didn't hold me to set posing times as typically happens in a classroom. Another was a friend and the setting was relaxed enough that napping was okay.

Before digital photography and the Internet, I had a few shoots with a photographer-friend. While the first shoot was only portraits, #2 and higher involved nude pix. It was pretty cramped in his basement studio and I had to hold poses for what seemed like an eternity while he fiddled with his lights and camera. The atmosphere got a little flirtatious at times, but there never was anything sexual. I was in my early 20s and didn't consider this 60+ year old man as a sexual being (not that I was consciously arrogant, just young and stupid)

Btw, been going to nude beaches and resorts since my 20s, so I'm quite relaxed in front of others.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

My scholarship was for Fine Art. I have known a LOT of art-class-models. No one is really worried about nudity, at least not as far as I was aware.
~Beaux