Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Needed at least a B, got a... C :/
As title says... my graded unit got a C... I needed a B to get on to the Degree course, looks like that "might" not happen now, appealing it though because her mark I believe to be unfair she states that I did not put in enough individual research when theres at least 5000 links to websites/images/videos etc that influenced it, research from asking public, books, leaflets, random photos and inspirations outdoors yaddy yadda and that I should have projected it in public to those taking part.. what with and how? I'd need permission it was a candid experiment and two I'd need ALOT of money to do so.

Though another student hasn't finished his work and somehow got an A... hmmm... this student is also friends with her family, something fishy is going on.

This tutor, is also the one that put her foot in the door for me getting into the uni photography degree by writing two false references...

BUT, being pro-active and going off and trying to work out how I can possibly appeal it, apply for a scholarship in the US as it's been on the backburner for some time (any advice on that or HOW and WHERE I go to apply would be great I'm at a loss at the moment)

Failing that, find a job for the time being, gather cash and experience and set up my own photography business in the area to prove that tutor wrong that you do not need a qualification to work a damn camera with a bit of passion, creativity, imagination and most importantly emotion something she lacks, anyone can go far!

Hey Mr, I totally bombed my a-levels I got E E C U and I managed to get into university so don't worry or atleast try not to worry. You know what I did after that? I did a foundation year redid my level 3 qualification and a year after I did shit I won "the best achieving student" award. I'm going to say your a levels are probably the hardest qualifications you do in your life, (well I found them harder than my degree but my degree was more stressful). I don't know how art type work is assessed but in terms of the research I do it all comes from primary sources such as scientific journals/ published work. Maybe the criteria for research in your case was maybe to use more books rather than websites? The best thing I can suggest is appeal it and even sit down with her and ask her to justify her marking which I'm sure she has to do.

Thanks, though I did a tonne of research too from books, journals, leaflets, fliers etc it's all about gathering inspirational work and things similar to that of your work which you'd then take elements from and try to put your own take of them in your work yaddy yadda.

I know there is still a possibility but the email I got pretty much stated that it's still to be sent off to external verifiers for marking and that I'm close to achieving a B - I then appealed her feedback with reasons and answers to her questions stating that she should take the time first to look at all my work not just the final piece and presentation files - it makes no sense how I got a C, she loved the idea and concept and the fact it was candid but in the email she stated that it should be projected onto a building in the city? but that costs too much money and would take away the whole "secret" aspect to the concept, it's not street art but merely an experiment on the social nature of human beings in a city, using time space and place that was asked for in the brief given...

Just makes no sense at all, I was the only student to make a final piece and project from the brief, no one else did.. She's gave an A to a student for his graded unit who has never handed in work for the past year and still has to go off and do it?! not to mention here... his graded unit was incomplete?!

I'm just.. devastated, angry, upset and what not, sparks up the suicidal thoughts, it's like these last 4 years have ground to a screeching halt and I'll never get the degree I dreamed of after fighting my whole life to try make something of myself i've yet.. to fight some more, it's never easy for us good guys.. why..

I'm sorry to hear this.

If there's something I've learnt from my uni years (just graduated), that is - you must fight for it. Go and talk with anyone willing to listen, do your best to explain how hard you've been working and how much you need a B. Maybe there's a tutor that you like that can give you some advice?

And even if you don't get a B, try to contact the uni and explain that you almost got a B, give reasons why you deserve one and maybe they will listen. Sometimes you can get in even without fullfilling all the criteria.

Also, are there any other courses you could do? Maybe somewhere else? Or you can just take a year out, get some experience and apply again next year. Having more experience will definately be an advantage.

Fingers crossed all goes well.

Aww mr, don't let it wind you up that much, just calm down and it will take a few days but it will pass. Just do what you can down the administrative route and see how it pans out. As for it being easy for good guys it never is. Here's an example a girl on my course this year has been fu king the lecturer and she always gets good marks even when she goes out shit lots etc. but I take pride in the fact knowing I've done all the work myself and that whatever Job she goes into she won't be prepared for it and fail. I'm sure it will work out right for you :-)

mrk2010 Wrote:Aww mr, don't let it wind you up that much, just calm down and it will take a few days but it will pass. Just do what you can down the administrative route and see how it pans out. As for it being easy for good guys it never is. Here's an example a girl on my course this year has been fu king the lecturer and she always gets good marks even when she goes out shit lots etc. but I take pride in the fact knowing I've done all the work myself and that whatever Job she goes into she won't be prepared for it and fail. I'm sure it will work out right for you :-)

mrk2010 is totally right, at the end of the day, you will have a job and will be working on your own. Then won't matter if you got a C, B or a D. You've got what it takes and you'll be brilliant. Meanwhile, someone f*ing the lecturer or just getting good grades for being friends/family will fail.

Thanks guys, I've been busy busy taking a pro-active approach went out and handed out lots of business cards for my photography and shopping for a bit, came back to see an email sitting waiting for me from my tutor.

After sending her an email appealing her feedback and telling her where to look at all my work properly etc she responded with "Well done, your grade has been raised to a B"

My email was quite.. cheeky.. you could say but passionate as was the others I sent to her head of department and my old tutor asking how to appeal the grade, think this must have spurred her opinion to change the grade. Confusedmile: :redface:

Yay! Well done! Smile

Congrats! Well done! Confusedmile:

(btw, I posted something few hours ago, the post was queued for approval and hasn't showed up yet.. weird :/ )

Scholarships in the US will be hard to come by for something like photography, at least at the undergraduate level. First thing I'd do is gather a list of schools with photography departments or programs, then sort out which ones you'd be interested in. After that you'd check their websites to see what they have available in terms of financial aid and funding. Many will probably be needs based and come from state sources in the US, and be limited to residency/citizenship categories that you won't be eligible for. Some might be merit based and available to you. There might also be work-study programs, that can be helpful for getting a part-time job on campus that usually pays more than minimum wage.