Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New runway or new airport
In the UK debate is going on as to whether to build a new runway at Heathrow or Gatwick airports that would mean thousands of homes being demolished and families relocated. Boris Johnson the bumbling, bufoon Mayor of London wants to build a totally new airport by the Thames estuary at a cost of 110 billion pounds. Presumably he has given no thought to the problems that London City Airport suffers. It is built at the side of the Thames and suffers frequent lock down because of fog. I flew out of London from London Ctyt Airport on the 11th of this month and when I arrived at the airport I was told that the airport was closed. No flighst in and no flights out, because of fog. And this is the major hub airport that Boris Johnson wants!

I was incredibly lucky that British Airways had a plane at the airport and the fog lifted to allow the minimum of 250 metres visibility to allow the plane to take off.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Wow... It reminds me a little what is happening in Italy with a new special high speed railway, that no one needs or want... And that would be useless at least for the next 10-15 years, but maybe forever...

Business stupid logic.

Ha that's ok we've got our own high speed rail project that only the elite will be able to afford in 2 decades...

I fly all the time, usually from Heathrow.

I was in Amsterdam last week, and Schipol airport is H U G E compared to Heathrow. I can see why its taking hub business away from Heathrow.

I was in Doha three weeks ago, and they are building a brand new international airport, right next door to the the existing airport in the middle of the desert. Passenger capacity is 25 Million per year from day one, with expansion up to 75 Million.

There is no doubt the UK is being left behind, but we are an island with limited space, so who should be surprised.

Personally I don't care where the new hub airport is, as long as it connected to a high speed efficient transport network, that doesn't cost silly money to use.

Develop something in the midlands and connect it to HS2 (the new high speed train network) It would probably still take less time to reach than Heathrow given the congestion on the M25 and M4 motorways, and the overcrowded Piccadilly tube line, or overpriced train out of Paddington.

ObW
X

Politicians LOVE to spend money.
Egocentric politicians LOVE to spend money on things that can be named after themselves or someone they like.
Cost? Oh hell, they dont care, they just raise your taxes to cover it.

If they were to demolish the older airport in favor of a bigger, new one, and use that land for housing, then that would be ok. You might suggest that to them.

You will have to make one choice or another, unless you want "them" making it for you.

Maybe you can also suggest giant fans outside the airport to blow the fog away.
(sarcastic joke there.....LOL)

Well there already calling the airport Boris Island... Wonder what David Cameron will call HS2?