Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No/Low Vitamin K diet....
My landlord just got issued a strict Low to no K diet for Wafrin, typical foods high in Vit K he should steer clear from:

Broccoli, Onion, Lettuce, Spinach, Green Beans, turnips (Really Turnips:eekSmile Green Tea... The list has about 45 items on it - all of which I grow in my garden Rolleyes

I'm suppose to cook three meals a day for this fella for the next week (at least) - what on earth is left to cook for him. ???

On top of this he is on a low cholesterol diet, a low carb diet (the diabetic Diet) no salt... there is nothing left to serve.

Oh wait - cat is not on any of these lists.... I guess its time I go a hunting...

Anyone have to deal with a diabetic with a heart condition with high blood pressure on wafarin and know any meals left that can be served???

Ideas welcomed.

Is fish ok?
Richard

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:My landlord just got issued a strict Low to no K diet for Wafrin, typical foods high in Vit K he should steer clear from:

Broccoli, Onion, Lettuce, Spinach, Green Beans, turnips (Really Turnips:eekSmile Green Tea... The list has about 45 items on it - all of which I grow in my garden Rolleyes

I'm suppose to cook three meals a day for this fella for the next week (at least) - what on earth is left to cook for him. ???

On top of this he is on a low cholesterol diet, a low carb diet (the diabetic Diet) no salt... there is nothing left to serve.

Oh wait - cat is not on any of these lists.... I guess its time I go a hunting...

Anyone have to deal with a diabetic with a heart condition with high blood pressure on wafarin and know any meals left that can be served???

Ideas welcomed.

How about a nice air casserole. With some cloud stuffing.
Or Sugar Free Jello. Jello works.

I would have thought that the Dr. would have given him a list of what he CAN eat, besides what he cant.

Take my onions away and you might as well get ready for one hell of a war....cause that will NEVER happen.

Fish is ok I guess. Think is other than over a camp fire I don't know how to cook fish... I personally don't eat it.... Grr

Yeah Air cassorole.... Hmmm Stupid doctors.

Fish is easy, you can sear it, saute it, bake it, poach it, smoke it, plank it, or like you said ocer a camp fire. There's the protein.

Now veggies, that's a lot harder.

Richard

Oatmeal with fat-free milk for breakfast.

Veggie Hotdogs on pita bread for lunch

Baked fish on a bed of rice for dinner.

Beans might be ok.

Fried Tofu (in olive oil)

That's all my Pea-brain can come up with.

Look at this....

some of those look good....

http://www.drgourmet.com/warfarin/warfar...cuaBfmkpx0

HMMM....asking the right guy here for this. It's my job, after all. Big Grin

First, onions are NOT high on vitamin K. Pretty much any root vegetable isn't. Carrots, mushrooms, squash, celery, legumes, etc, are not high in K.

Meats, fish, etc, are fine. Most protein sources are fine.

Casseroles, chilis, meatloaves, etc, are fine. Use lower fat substitutes in these and in side dishes (like mashed potatoes, etc).

Main thing is to avoid cruciferous green leafy veggies like romaine lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, kale, etc. Those are the ones most likely to throw his warfarin levels off come test time.

Everything else should be a-okay. TRUST me on this one; like I said, I do it for a living. Smile

Private message me if you have any specific questions, Bowyn.

Well that initial shock was due largely to a person who called me to tell me that list of things that Bob can't have. Apparently that wasn't altogether true.

I got the paperwork now, apparently he is allowed some of the stuff, its not I have to cook without it. Measured in cups (1/4C, 1/2C) and I have to balance out the amount total per day of Vit K he gets.

Actually Mr Tinkles that recipe site looks pretty good... I'll have to try some of them.

Drew.... Thanks for the offer. I suspect I may be honoring your offer a wee bit in the coming week... maybe sooner.

I note that he is supposed to eat a lot of proteins for the diabetes - so he will be full... Need to get him more cottage cheese and stuff like that.

I am sorry I can't give you any advice, eating is very low on my scale of interest. But I could polish your halo...
He is very lucky to have you in his life, Bowyn.