Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-stick pans: A health warning
A substance used in non-stick cookware since the 1940s is causing a 'national public health crisis ... with no apparent end in sight'

http://time.com/4311596/pfoa-toxic-pollu...er-supply/
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

The article is being a bit alarmist, even when it states itself that link to human health effects is vague. What is this "health crisis" then?

So, I won't take the article seriously.

I did, however, found this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0069033/

Now, that is a proper source of concern.

The compound persists in the environment, is fairly soluble in water and has been produced in large amounts for a while now. Exposure to this molecule from the general population can only mean crappy regulation on industries that produced them, especially in waste handling. That is the only way that a high enough concentration of it can be reached in water supplies or soil.

Seems like they are dropping it already, so all good. Now there is only the leftover pollution to deal with. Most of it in water supplies will find its way to the ocean so no biggie, it will have a concentration of about 0,0000000000000000000000000000001 M there :biggrin:

Soil contamination is trickier as it will find its way up the food chain. I suspect some problems will arise from it, but once it's fully stopped from being produce massively, things should fair better.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Properly seasoned cast iron pans used at the right temperatures are very much non-stick. I use them every day. Some of mine are from the 1940s and still work great.

Camfer Wrote:Properly seasoned cast iron pans used at the right temperatures are very much non-stick. I use them every day. Some of mine are from the 1940s and still work great.

Agreed. I have a wonderful French cast iron enameled casserole that I absolutely adore.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

From one chemical or another, we have known that non-sick cookware is less than a good idea for a long time. Not only that, it is a bad buy because the coating wears off leaving you with a useless pan. Camfer is right. My nephew is the current steward of cast iron that has been in the family for at least four, and maybe five, generations. Why waste the time with cheap non-stick?
I bid NO Trump!

I wonder how much Teflon we have ingested over the years... That stuff comes off every time we cook with a Teflon skillet.

Cast iron skillets are great if you keep them properly cured (seasoned),, but they are heavy!!! and I quickly tire out - when chasing my hubby around the kitchen with one.....

Always kidding,
Jimerooo
We Have Elvis !!

[MENTION=11919]jimcrackcorn[/MENTION]: Now, good sir, I sense that you are not being practical. It is true that a cast iron chicken fryer can be a bit on the weighty side, but I have two CI skillets about 8" wide at the bottom that are moderate in weight and quite wieldy in combat. They are not much different in size from ping pong paddles (which can be handy in other ways also) and are GREAT for making cornbread when not in use settling domestic differences. They are certainly solid enough to pack a wallop when landed firmly.

As for seasoning, just remember to scour with a few drops of oil and a handful of kosher salt while the pan is still warm after using (for cooking, that is.).
I bid NO Trump!