Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OUT for Sustainability
Has anyone on the forum been involved with the OUT for Sustainability organization (http://out4s.org/)

There is not a similar organization near where I live, but I do support both causes - sustainability and promotion of the LGBT community.

Was tempted to start something where I am at, but not sure if there is an update.

Do you think that the LGBT is more concerned with sustainable practices than our non-exclusive planetary cohabitants?

First I heard of them.

I'm not a hard core environmentalist but am active and aware with several aspects of the local efforts.

I don't see anything to be gained by moving gays out of the environmental that exists and is anything but homophobic in order to start an exclusively gay effort that's a duplicate of a larger one.

For instance I'm very active about eliminating invasive alien plant and animal species crowding out native species. Through that effort I've made many great friends with heteros and in that way helping towards more acceptance of gays. Starting an exclusively gay effort would end that vital contact and unintended public relations work that is a much higher priority to me than a pat on the back daisy chain for gays.

50Plus Wrote:Do you think that the LGBT is more concerned with sustainable practices than our non-exclusive planetary cohabitants?

If you think facial scrubs, hair gel and all of those shoes every gay appears to have is sustainable, sure....:eek:

I was green before it was cool. I was doing organic before the government came up with legal definitions and pretty much ruined the definition of organic.

For the record, I have a pair of tennis shoes, a pair of Doc Martins (my funeral and wedding shoes - been seeing a lot of action this year with those) and my work boots.

I am not a typical gay male.

From what I have seen, there ain't that many real sustainable life LGBT out there. Sure lesbians tend to want to live in the rural area, raise chicken pigs and goats and stuff, which gay men tend to want to live at the heart of the city, buy out a whole neighborhood and remodel and raise the property values through the roof.... But are these actually sustainable ways of living?

Things to make you go hmmm.

I was a hippy when hippy was uncool - I was elf way hella before elves were cool too. :biggrin: I find I am a rarer breed - regardless of sexual orientation.

I think a fairer assessment is that sustainable living is outside of sexual preferences and that regardless of sexual preferences there is this limited number of folk who are one with the Earth and seek to live in harmony and peace with the ecology. The majority only play lip service to the idea.

I have actually been doing the gay online dating thing, and my hippy ways count against me. Gay men appear to generally loath mother nature and the wild wood.... More the wild wood for me.... :biggrin:

I am very much a naturalist and conversationalist and it doesn't end with the environment. It goes for my body as well and the medicine I study and will practice. I'm not perfect, but I do a lot.

From what I've observed, I think people in general aren't concerned with the environment. They might buy some "green" thing (like a car) because it's a trend, and notice they are using conspicuous consumption to be "green", but they don't really have it as a lifestyle. People think it's too much work and aren't willing to make any sacrifices for the greater well being.

FYI, Bowyn, my friends think I am a Rivendell elf, so you aren't exactly alone. Tongue