Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old String Ensemble
Omg you guys, I was talking to a friend last night, and she told me about our performance in Disney being on youtube :eek: . I totally forgot we were being recorded and thought nothing of it :tongue: .

[Image: P1010377.JPG]

That's me between mickey and the D Rolleyes . Back when I had my braided mohawk (it was braided down in this pic). The teacher is the lady on the top far right.

We had a "pops' concert in december before we left, and I thought I'd show you all :biggrin: . (I'm the yella guy on the String Bass, I was only there cause otherwise we'd only have one bassist and oddly enough I was made the principal bassist at the school :eek: )

We wish you a merry christmas

Coldplay-Clocks

Ladygaga-Hit mix

(Omg, I tried mixing dancing and vibrato, so I'm all over the place Rolleyes )

Theme from Ice Castles

Theme from Ice Castles-Florida

(We played 8 songs, why they chose this one, we'll never know >.> and you can barely see me :frownSmile
~
Bonus
Performance at our annual exhibition (one of my last performances with themCry )

(We played 6 songs here, but they picked this one :mad: . If you heard Viva la Vida, you alls brains would've simply exploded Wink )
~
Hope you all liked it. I kinda miss being in the ensemble, but I think I like a being in a Quartet more >.>, just need to find one now Mdrbig .

[Image: IMG_0314.jpg]
This is the String Bass they gave me in Florida. I named him Norman :tongue: .

what is a good name for a Cello
thanks

pellaz Wrote:what is a good name for a Cello
thanks

Lol, well I named my Viola Albertha, My Florida Bass Norman and my old personal Bass Ruby and my friend(who's in the vids) named his Cello Anastasia >.> but when I play it I call it Sam :biggrin: .

Maybe Jesse (could be a boy or a girl Wink )

his car is named Roxy, mine are William and Omar Little.
We live in the Grey Gardens
so hmmm... the cello?

Thanks for sharing that, QueenOdi, My cousin plays the Bass and she went on some cruise in the Caribbean with her orchestra last year. She had a great time. Keep playing

pellaz Wrote:what is a good name for a Cello
thanks

Davydov . . . unfortunately there is already a cello called the Davydov. But I think you have to pick a name that fits the personality of the instrument. For that, you have to know the instrument.

The Davydov is played in both recordings below:

@ Inchante- your welcome and thanks :3. I may pick up the bass again, but they're so expensive! :eek:, plus very heavy to lug around >.> lol.
I actually like all of Yo-Yo Ma's Cellos, especially his Stradivari, I didn't know he had one named Davydov :confused: . (btw, you just posted him playing my favourite song >.> now I have to go play it x.x lol )

I agree with Inchante as well, know your instrument before you name it, I named my Viola Albertha, cause she has that deep nasal quality I would associate with that name, while also being able to go high as well :biggrin:.

pellaz Wrote:his car is named Roxy, mine are William and Omar Little.
We live in the Grey Gardens
so hmmm... the cello?

Grey Gardens? The Bouvier house in the Hamptons? LOL. Nice! Who is Big Edie and who is Little?

[Image: Grey_Gardens_(1975_film)_poster.jpg]

[Image: Cottage+Grey+Gardens+EHHS.jpg]

QueenOdi Wrote:@ Inchante- your welcome and thanks :3. I may pick up the bass again, but they're so expensive! :eek:, plus very heavy to lug around >.> lol.
I actually like all of Yo-Yo Ma's Cellos, especially his Stradivari, I didn't know he had one named Davydov :confused: . (btw, you just posted him playing my favourite song >.> now I have to go play it x.x lol )

I agree with Inchante as well, know your instrument before you name it, I named my Viola Albertha, cause she has that deep nasal quality I would associate with that name, while also being able to go high as well :biggrin:.

Well, unless he has more than one Stradivari, that would be the Davydov:

The cello was sold in Paris in 1888. In 1928 it was purchased by Herbert N. Straus, an American business executive. When he died, his widow asked New York City musical instrument dealer Rembert Wurlitzer to sell the instrument for her. In 1964 the Davydov cello was purchased for US$90,000 by Ismena Holland who in turn presented the instrument to her goddaughter, the English cellist, Jacqueline du Pré. Upon receiving the Davydov, Du Pre's instructor, William Pleeth, declared it as "one of the really great instruments of the world". Practically all of du Pré's recordings from 1968 to 1970 were made on this instrument. By 1970, du Pré began using a different cello (fabricated for her by Sergio Peresson and purchased by her husband Daniel Barenboim), as she was bothered by the Davidov's "unpredictability." Yo-Yo Ma later commented, "Jackie's unbridled dark qualities went against the Davydov. You have to coax the instrument. The more you attack it, the less it returns". The Peresson was her primary instrument for the remainder of her career.

Upon her death in 1987, the Davydov, owned by the Vuitton Foundation, was made available for use by Yo-Yo Ma. He has since performed and recorded with the instrument in Baroque music, specifically, the Simply Baroque and Simply Baroque II recordings. It was modified especially for the task of creating a more authentic sound for that era. The Davydov has subsequently been reconfigured for modern music once again.

Inchante Wrote:Well, unless he has more than one Stradivari, that would be the Davydov:

The cello was sold in Paris in 1888. In 1928 it was purchased by Herbert N. Straus, an American business executive. When he died, his widow asked New York City musical instrument dealer Rembert Wurlitzer to sell the instrument for her. In 1964 the Davydov cello was purchased for US$90,000 by Ismena Holland who in turn presented the instrument to her goddaughter, the English cellist, Jacqueline du Pré. Upon receiving the Davydov, Du Pre's instructor, William Pleeth, declared it as "one of the really great instruments of the world". Practically all of du Pré's recordings from 1968 to 1970 were made on this instrument. By 1970, du Pré began using a different cello (fabricated for her by Sergio Peresson and purchased by her husband Daniel Barenboim), as she was bothered by the Davidov's "unpredictability." Yo-Yo Ma later commented, "Jackie's unbridled dark qualities went against the Davydov. You have to coax the instrument. The more you attack it, the less it returns". The Peresson was her primary instrument for the remainder of her career.

Upon her death in 1987, the Davydov, owned by the Vuitton Foundation, was made available for use by Yo-Yo Ma. He has since performed and recorded with the instrument in Baroque music, specifically, the Simply Baroque and Simply Baroque II recordings. It was modified especially for the task of creating a more authentic sound for that era. The Davydov has subsequently been reconfigured for modern music once again.

I've just been educated :eek: . I never knew about the Davydov. Are you some Cello master? lol. That's pretty cool Biggthumpup

QueenOdi Wrote:I've just been educated :eek: . I never knew about the Davydov. Are you some Cello master? lol. That's pretty cool Biggthumpup

No, that's all Wiki.

I used to play the cello back in the day, but in college I had to sell it in order to pay the rent. I just love the cello and I became fascinated by the personal story of Jacqueline DuPre after watching the film Hilary and Jackie. The film plays up the importance of the Davydov in Jackie's career because it is such a famous instrument.