Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old threads vs New threads
Well that's a perfect example of what I'm asking about!! - - - I put in my title, and before I can do anything else, the system comes back and says "Please have a look at those threads before you start a new one." So I look at a couple of them. And wouldn't you know it, I'm told "Consider making a new thread before posting."

And I know that at least one user has promised her ire to anyone who posts on a thread that is several months old. But there again, the system lists two to five year old threads at the bottom of each thread. So what's the deal? - worth discussing again?

~q

I'm not meaning to introduce myself again; I just couldn't find any more appropriate place to put this.

~q

and pissing someone off is a bad thing?

You can't post on a lot of those old threads anyway as they're locked for being inactive too long. I can see the point of the feature to avoid multiple threads being posted on the same thing at about the same time (current events, etc) but I think it shouldn't look more than a year back at most, and maybe even limit it to a month.

I hate it when new members come and post on old threads. It feels wrong. Even that posts are just there from years ago, what purpose do they serve?

Questioning, you are allowed to resuscitate any old thread that's been going around, as long as you have something new to say in it... after all, why not? The only reason why you couldn't write in it would be because it's been locked. Other than that, I think you are free to do as you wish. Don't heed complaints about old threads, they haven't been relevant for a while, ok, but all of a sudden they are again... to someone like you. So, again, why not?

partis Wrote:I hate it when new members come and post on old threads. It feels wrong. Even that posts are just there from years ago, what purpose do they serve?
Actually they serve the purpose that they are archives. Ideas that have gone around already, and things that people won't have to repeat again if they've said them well...
Why shouldn't new members post on old threads if they suddenly become relevant again? You can always ignore reading them, if you like.

partis Wrote:I hate it when new members come and post on old threads. It feels wrong. Even that posts are just there from years ago, what purpose do they serve?

To make people post new threads about posts on old threads, because too many threads apparently come up when making a new thread....even making a new thread about old threads, because old threads aren't the same as new threads, even though the new threads are about the same stuff as the old threads, which are locked, because somebody lost the key!!!

And to piss off difiant1.

Pix Wrote:You can't post on a lot of those old threads anyway as they're locked for being inactive too long. I can see the point of the feature to avoid multiple threads being posted on the same thing at about the same time (current events, etc) but I think it shouldn't look more than a year back at most, and maybe even limit it to a month.

Actually, in a fit of complete vanity, I wonder if I can track every single post of the 13,000 I've actually contributed? What do you think? Wink

princealbertofb Wrote:Actually they serve the purpose that they are archives. Ideas that have gone around already, and things that people won't have to repeat again if they've said them well...
Why shouldn't new members post on old threads if they suddenly become relevant again? You can always ignore reading them, if you like.

Well if that's the case most things are repeated again… I just think threads should have a life-span. At least a year.

partis Wrote:Well if that's the case most things are repeated again… I just think threads should have a life-span. At least a year.

The fact is that some people, while searching, might find an answer to one of their questions. That's how some people came to join us... Maybe that answer is in one of the older threads, probably an older thread than just one year. As Pix said, a lot of the ancient threads are locked anyway.