Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onion balls
LONDONER Wrote:I had a love affair with onions many years ago when I was a art school.

Awesome paintings "Mr. Picasso"!!!!

partisan Wrote:I love onion, though mrtinkles you didnt mention the humble red onion Sad (nice pictures londoner)

My ignorance has been rectified.
How DARE I forget the red!!!!

Stuff and Nonesense!!!

STUFF AND NONESENSE I SAY!!!!

I have kept a plastic container of fresh chopped onion in my fridge for use, pretty much all my life.
I have never once gotten sick from it.

Of course, if I have onions chopped, they will get used quickly anyway.

I make pretty much EVERYTHING with onion and garlic and I have never had any problems, and no one has ever gotten sick from my foods made with onions....fresh or prechopped two days ahead.

Even my granny would use onion in almost everything, and I learned most of my cooking traits from her.

Back in medieval times, both onions and garlic were used for "keeping the sickness at bay".

Now we know, with the introduction of high technology, that its the enzymes in these bulbs of goodness that effect/affect what ails you. They either suck them out of the air, or help dwindle them out of your system.

I had a friend who got HIV from a guy he was with, and I told him to start eating all the fresh onion, garlic, and jalapeno he could tolerate on a daily basis. And to also cook with these things as much as possible. The enzymes from these plants/veggies help strengthen your bloods immunity to viruses and flu's, and even colds. No, you wont become immortal, but it will certainly help keep your immune system up and running.

Being from "the south", this is what I was raised with learning about these things.

Red Onion Soup

Ingredients

.2 teaspoons butter
Cooking spray
4 red onions, quartered and thinly sliced crosswise (about 2 1/2 pounds)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 quart water
1 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
4 parsley sprigs
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
6 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated Asiago cheese

Preparation
Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add the onions, salt, and pepper; cover and cook over low heat 30 minutes or until onions are browned, stirring occasionally.
Increase heat to medium-high; stir in wine and tomato paste. Cook until wine almost evaporates (about 5 minutes). Add water, tomatoes, rosemary, thyme, parsley, and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in soy sauce; discard parsley and bay leaves.
Preheat broiler.
Ladle 1 1/3 cups soup into 6 ovenproof bowls. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Top each serving with 1 bread slice, and sprinkle each bread slice with 2 tablespoons Gruyère and about 1 tablespoon Asiago. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts.

As ive gotten older my use of onion has multiplied, i used to love tuna sandwhich with a bit of chopped onion, now its more like a onion sandwhich with bit of tuna. That and garlic are the only 2 foods that make me go googly eyed when im eating, whats that? Sorry i didnt hear you, eating onion. You know im going to get an.onion bloomer (onion bread) today, this is your fault entire mrtinks ",

....I'm not appreciated in my own time.

partisan Wrote:As ive gotten older my use of onion has multiplied, i used to love tuna sandwhich with a bit of chopped onion, now its more like a onion sandwhich with bit of tuna. That and garlic are the only 2 foods that make me go googly eyed when im eating, whats that? Sorry i didnt hear you, eating onion. You know im going to get an.onion bloomer (onion bread) today, this is your fault entire mrtinks ",

How you decide to support the onion industry is entirely your OWN doing!!!

:eyebrow-wiggle-smil

Wade Wrote:....I'm not appreciated in my own time.

Your "own time" isn't for another year.
(November 24th at about 2:59pm, 2014)

MisterTinkles Wrote:Your "own time" isn't for another year.
(November 24th at about 2:59pm, 2014)

I don't get it.

Wade Wrote:I don't get it.

Geez, don't make me explain time equations to you....
We will be here all freekin night long!

Hmmm, maybe you should watch Cosmos with Carl Sagan.
He's pretty good at explaining that stuff so us "regular" people can understand it.

Maybe then you will get the joke.

Kitty