Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oops I unplugged something
I removed a heat sink from my computer to clean it since it was caked with dust and debris. Bad move.

Unfortunately it is attached to the chip, which has many tiny pins on it and I can't figure out how to plug it back in without bending the pins. My eyes can't even distinguish each pin they are that small.

My computer was overheating, it is a processor - I think that is the name.

So computer is off line, which means we are on emergency life support with the warp core off line too. :biggrin:

I'm currently using my partner's virus infected computer. It has a trojan that is redirecting its searches Rolleyes

So I will be off line for a while. We hope to take the computer to the Best Buy computer guys this weekend.

If you don't hear from me it means I really messed up my computer.

Cheers

The reason it would have been over heating would have been due to the fact that the thermal paste between the heatsink and CPU (Processor) had deteriorated to a point that it adhered to the Heatsink. The thermal paste is the single most important part of the processor set up because it allows for the heat to be transferred from the CPU to the heatsink.

How to remove a Processor fused to a heat sink

I build my own computers and so I make it part of my routine to clean the heatsink, inside the case and reseat the CPU and heatsink bi-annually.

You should be able to buy Thermal Paste at any Computer Store.

Good Luck Wink

is the old fan functional

I hope you're not gone long. Confusedmile:

Done exactly the same thing a while back with my processor whilst replacing the thermal paste and cooling fan/heatsink set up - had to use a magnifying glass and a pair of small tweezers with rubber tips to position the pins back into place because upon removal of the old bits and pieces I kind of knocked/popped it out and without realizing bent one or two of the pins.

I know the feeling buddy - the tweezers and a magnifying glass were my savior, perhaps you could try something similar? typically the chip has one corner cut diagonally so to speak so that you can tell how it slots back into it's place, it should just "fall" in so to speak without much, if any pressure needed Confusedmile:

u need to get some more thermal paste before u put it all back together - try to buy the best u can afford too = arctic paste is very good - good luck mate ...pc's are the devils work sometimes lol

Artic Silver is what I use. Got a 22g syringe of it, set me back about $30 and I have been using it for years. Being a 'grease' it doesn't actually go off. Good stuff.

haha - thats the stuff i meant dfiant "artic silver" ... damn my spelling lol

dfiant Wrote:Artic Silvert is what I use. Got a 22g syringe of it, set me back about $30 and I have been using it for years. Being a 'grease' it doesn't actually go off. Good stuff.

Same here it is brilliant stuff.
May I suggest a stand alone magnifying glass, I have been using for ages.

I know how you feel regarding not bending the pins , I have been known to remove the motherboard from the case , so i could line the pins up, it's a hell of a lot easier.

Don't be gone too long , you will be missed.

this should get rid of that virus, its called TDSSKiller.

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]