Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oops I unplugged something
Microsoft security essentials, auto update, and works well to trap all the nasties, Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

Well I finally got the Arctic Silver via the mail last night. I fear my computer still isn't working. The fans come on, the blue light lights up the yellow/amber 'working' lamp doesn't light and it does not boot.

Obviously when I attempted to remove the heat sink the old conductive material acted like glue and pulled the CPU chip out of its plug in pad thingy. Something must of snapped inside either the plug in thing or the CPU.

I have decided to shelve it until we reach start-base 122 - which is to say when we have the money to take it into the shop to get a new CPU installed by someone who has decent eyes to see what they are doing.

I have attempted to repair my partner's computer. Unfortunately I think the only hope on this one is a pint of gasoline and a match.

I removed the Trojan only to have it return, and there is something else 'wrong' as its McAfee refuses to function - some sort of missing .dll?

Further, a scan disk reveals that there is other damage to the disk, and his computer refuses to use the printer.

Yes definitely a gasoline and matches situation.

I have no ideal when I will be back on line fully. This crappy machine is so slow I write a paragraph, wait and then it types. :o

Oh well - I'm getting a LOT of yard work done - and reading too. :biggrin:

See you all in a couple weeks I hope Xyxwave

somethings definitely not seated right but I wouldn't be able to tell what it is for sure unless I was there to see it. you should do what I did to my sisters computer to your partners and sneak some anti virus software on there Smile

two weeks is too long with out a Bowyn post Sad
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Bring your PC over to my house. I'll have it working before you finish your cuppa

BA...you can have someone clean it up remotely for you...they will tell you how much before you even start. I had that done once and it was great.

Dfiant, Sure let me jump into the truck and drive there, I'll be there in a few hours once I figure out how to keep it afloat on the Pacific. :tongue:

East, this issue with this computer (my partners) is not that it needs antivirus protection, or needs to be cleaned of all the malicious software, it is not really a computer problem, its an operator issue which I fear is beyond repair. Wink

There is a reason why we have two computers, mine and his. Because he has these terrible habits where he doesn't do the internet with protection.

Anyway, on my computer I tried reseating the processor chip and reinstalling the heat sink. Still the fan and the on light comes on, it still does not boot the software. I know its is not a software issue. I most likely broke the chip itself when I tried to remove the heat sink for cleaning, either that or the 'socket' that it plugs into.

Anyway, funds are tight and I won't have it in for service for a bit longer.

It appears that someone owes Uncle Sam some tax monies (not me, I got a modest refund coming) thus any 'extra' money I had this week is going to Uncle Sam.

As an aside, is anyone interested in a slightly used partner? :biggrin:

LOL B.A. I'll take him. If I get two for the price of one that is. I wouldn't really leave you there all alone by yourself Wink