Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oops I unplugged something
Good Luck! I hate it when that happens...I am fortunate to have alot of computer geniuses amongst my friends and family and they happen to live close by (I am in Silicon Valley so it has it's benefits)...I have crashed a couple computers though where it was easier to just get a new one.

I hope you come back soon!

dfiant Wrote:The reason it would have been over heating would have been due to the fact that the thermal paste between the heatsink and CPU (Processor) had deteriorated to a point that it adhered to the Heatsink. The thermal paste is the single most important part of the processor set up because it allows for the heat to be transferred from the CPU to the heatsink.

How to remove a Processor fused to a heat sink

I build my own computers and so I make it part of my routine to clean the heatsink, inside the case and reseat the CPU and heatsink bi-annually.

You should be able to buy Thermal Paste at any Computer Store.

Good Luck Wink

Ah... I see. So with a bit of gentle prying the 'chip' came of the heat sink. I didn't try that a few days ago, I wasn't certain how the chip and heat sink attached thus didn't try sliding anything between the two and try to pry it. Now that the heat sink of off I think I will be able to manage getting the chip in to it socket/holes. But I have to wait until the sun is high enough in the sky to give direct bright light for me to see with.

Between the two is a grey powdery substance sort of a heavy grease that has congealed. Its consistency is that of badly used axle grease, some of it is even 'dry' powdery.

I suppose that instead of there being dust on the heat sink that your diagnosis of deteriorated thermal paste was the real issue. So now I have the chip and the heat sink apart.

From the looks of it who ever installed it drew a circle of "paste" and then pushed the two together, it doesn't appear that the grease was at any time across the whole surface of the chip. Which may explain a few things and issues I had early on when we bought the damn thing.

I didn't know I had to take it apart every 6 months. I do open it up once a year and take the vacuum to the interior to clean out the dust that accumulates.

Right now I am looking at the chip pins. Well trying too - :biggrin:

Since turning 40 my close up/reading distance has gotten progressively worse with each passing year. My reading glasses which are about 8 months old are no longer working well...

I'll look around for Arctic Silver...

Give me a day. and I will have it back on line, and be at full warp speed again :biggrin:

Ceez,

This is my partner's computer. HE does as he wants. Right now there are 5 'web bars' active on his browser. He will purposefully ignore the ad-aware, spy ware, virus warnings to do what he wants.

I have cleaned off many viruses and other stuff off his computer. He insists on downloading more.

It is something his family does. My motherinlaw's 3 month old computer is already pretty much trashed due to her willy-nilly downloading email attachments.

Quote:I didn't know I had to take it apart every 6 months. I do open it up once a year and take the vacuum to the interior to clean out the dust that accumulates.

LOL I've been talking about vacuuming my laptop for the past several months. After your experience I'll better forget it :biggrin:

Is this the arctic Silver? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arctic-Silver-...u=20449158

Nick9 Wrote:LOL I've been talking about vacuuming my laptop for the past several months. After your experience I'll better forget it :biggrin:

Just think of this as me boldly going before you and making the mistakes you won't need to make.:biggrin:

You know what is really sad? I went to a couple of computer forums to ask for help and not one of them knew what I was talking about. I had one tell me it was my graphics card/chip. Another tell me that I need to get Linux - totally by passing the hardware issue. The rest were one sentence 'helpless' help.

Come here and post and Dfiant tagged the issue dead on.

So I recommend you talk to Dfiant before you proceed.

Now don't you dare tell him I said he's the best computer guy out there, we don't want this going to his head Wink

Shhh - don't tell.

I got the chip in and seated. Much easier without the heat sink attached. Big Grin

On your partners computer download AVG ANTI VIRUS its a fab free progream and gets shot of nasties big time...

oh also seek out registry mechanic its worth the price and it could make it feel like brand new again

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Just think of this as me boldly going before you and making the mistakes you won't need to make.:biggrin:

to boldly go... Where do I know it from? Star Trek? Smile

I remember having problems with my printer. I needed to find a video with instructions how to dismantle it. :biggrin: They don't use screws anymore...

you know my dad used to repair old movie cameras (before video was invented ConfusedmileSmile I used to watch him and he always told me not to touch anything: "you touch this printed circuit board (or what it was called Smile) and the repair will cost double..."

I guess I still have this block in my head Rolleyes

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Is this the arctic Silver? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arctic-Silver-5-High-Density-Polysynthetic-Silver-Thermal-Compound/20449158?sourceid=1500000000000003142050&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=20449158

That's the stuff Wink

It doesn't have to be done every 6 months, It's just what I like to do.

The ardtic silver, you only needs a little blob of it in the middle of the 'chip' enough to cover the CPU, which doesn't take up the whole size of the Chip. The big silver thing with the pins is basically a casing to help in heat dispersion and transfering heat to the Heat Sink.

The CPU sits in the middle of the Chip and is probably no bigger than 5mm sq.

Don't forget to clean off the old thermal paste from both the chip and the heatsink surfaces. Isopropyl Alcohol is the best for this. Make sure there are no smudges or finger prints or dust on either of the surfaces before applying the past. That will cause air pockets and affect the heat transfer between the chip and Sink.

We have good forums here in Australia for Techo stuff called Whirlpool and I have learned a lot from there.