Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open relationships
I certainly don't want this thread to sound mean or belittling to anyone who is in an open relationship (gay or straight for that matter), but I really can't figure out how that works. To me, a relationship is about love and mutual respect, comraderiship, things like that. And I just wonder how any couple, regardless of sexuality, can have all those things and be in an open relationship.

I understand there are couples that are open in the fact that they allow others into their bed together, but even then it's hard for me to fully grasp that. And I have a friend who is in an open relationship with his partner. And while I see some of those things I mentioned at the start in their relationship, I just see it as hard to build a relationship with someone when there's a third person involved.

I guess I'm just an old fashion kind of guy. But, to each his own I suppose! Smile

Amen. Preach!

Do you mean strictly where one or both partners can have other (strictly) sexual partners, or are you including things like swinging and polyamory?

Your example of "having a third person" involved suggested 3 people in a relationship together (which would be polyamory, even if the 3 don't have sex together) as opposed to an open relationship.

I mean any sort of open relationship. I've always been one that preferred monogamy in a relationship. I know, personal choice. But I'm just curious as to how a relationship is built like that (open). I guess part of it is I've never been able to ask these types of questions before now. Or rather didn't feel comfortable asking them.

I think The Ethical Slut explains it (how, why, etc) beautifully and well, and made me consider trying polyamory (actually I did ask partners for awhile but I never dated anyone long term who was into that so it never happened). Of course its focus is on polyamory rather than open relationships and swinging, but I think it's easy to figure out the others from this book.

I recently saw a movie called Savages (not out on dvd yet and I expect if it's still playing anywhere then it's at those discount cinemas)...surprisingly good IMO (I normally avoid movies like this but this one emphasized story over gunshots & explosions and had a couple of refreshing changes so I was glad I saw it) in which the woman O describes her relationship with 2 men at the same time (sometimes dating, and having sex with, both at the same time), and I thought it was an understandable reason. I can't recall how she exactly explained it nor can I find the quote on the internet so all I can say is that the 2 men loved each other deeply and shared everything anyway (and I'd guess in a way she was the way for 2 straight men to have sex with each other :tongue: ) and as for her each brought her something she needed that no one man ever did before. All 3 were more loyal to each other than many in monogamous relationships and it struck me as a believable premise.

Got to agree, never did see the point in open relationships if you aren't going to fully commit to one another why bother?!

Pix -- I guess I could kinda see the whole "love each other so much, want to share" thing. And like I said, some oft reason for questioning also comes from how I've always thought of a "relationship" as something between two people, not multiple. But as I also said, I won't judge anyone for how they run their lives. I for one certainly have no room to do so anyway! Smile

archubbycub Wrote:Pix -- I guess I could kinda see the whole "love each other so much, want to share" thing. And like I said, some oft reason for questioning also comes from how I've always thought of a "relationship" as something between two people, not multiple. But as I also said, I won't judge anyone for how they run their lives. I for one certainly have no room to do so anyway! Smile

"Let he who is without sin . . .", right? Thumbgrin

monk Wrote:"Let he who is without sin . . .", right? Thumbgrin

Exactly! Thumbgrin

Open relationships are not for anyone to judge, they exists and that is that. Some people and relationships benefit, other don't...whatever floats your boat.

Personally I would never be happy in an open relationship, I would never have a fling with anyone else that is in a relationship either.

I'm monogamous and that feels right for me and works for me...but more power to those that have open relationships and make them work Smile