Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organ transplants
This post is prompted by a news item on the BBC in which it was announced that that Wales is introducing a policy that will presume consent for organ donation unless you specifically opt out. It also cited the case of a 60 year old man who was waiting for a lung, liver and kidney transplant. He had already had one kidney transplant that was failing.

What is your position on organ donations? With an ever increasing world population as well as an ever increasing ageing population, should we really be saving the lives of so many of the elderly? Note: I am no spring chicken myself and personally I would refuse a donation if it ever came to pass that I needed one. Medicine without a doubt, is wonderful, but we are all living longer and putting more pressure on the Earth’s limited resources and not putting anything back, so, should we re-think and only save those who can make a viable contribution to society. I am thinking of Nelson Mandela. At his age and in his state of health, shouldn’t he be allowed to die a dignified death rather than be kept alive by artificial means?

To withhold an organ transplant from a dearly loved member of a family I realise would be heart breaking but I wonder how many realise the actual financial cost of an organ transplant. Thousands and thousands of £, all putting real pressure on the resources (in the UK at least) of the National Health Service.

What are your thoughts?

I think this is a step in the right direction personally, that will save many lives; of all ages.

I'm a registered donor, and it annoys me how many people don't mind the idea of organ donation or would like to be a donor, but never get around to registering.

I think it likely those who would want to opt out of organ donations are in the vast minority.

Genersis Wrote:I think this is a step in the right direction personally, that will save many lives; of all ages.

I'm a registered donor, and it annoys me how many people don't mind the idea of organ donation or would like to be a donor, but never get around to registering.

I think it likely those who would want to opt out of organ donations are in the vast minority.

OK, so I'm in a minority. At my age I don't think that my organs would be much use to anyone.

Saving people's lives and improving quality of living for those people is not a cause of resource issues. There are non-replenishing birthrates in most of the developed world. Nor do I think the decision of whether or not to save a human being who wishes to be saved should be reduced to utilitarian cost assessment.

I'm definitely supportive of this opt-out scheme.

At the end of the day, those who are truly against donating their organs can still opt out (so it's not like the choice has been taken from them), and if it goes through, it means that the indecisive amongst us, and those who simply "can't be bothered" can also have their organs put to use saving lives after their death.

I think the idea of the organ transplant is, in fact, not only to give the receiver a better life, which in itself is a good purpose, but also to make that person independent... independent of costly drugs, independent of costly regular care, and thus being independent, they generally cost less to society as a whole, don't they? Sometimes even, they might join in the productivity of society. Not all receivers are going to be handicapped still to the point of continuing being a burden to society. We wouldn't do it if there weren't any benefits.
Today's debate centres more around whether it's a good idea to bring a new baby into the world so that he or she can save an already living sibling, one with a genetic defect or disease.

Genersis Wrote:I think this is a step in the right direction personally, that will save many lives; of all ages.

Really? What makes you think that? Selfishness, religious issues?

princealbertofb Wrote:Really? What makes you think that? Selfishness, religious issues?

Well, some people will opt out, most probably because of spiritual beliefs about death.
Others might opt out just because "it's icky". *sigh*
But as I said; I think they are the minority on this issue.

I misread you, Genz... I thought you wrote the vast majority, thus making me question what you meant... It's all clear now. My mistake. Sorry :redface:

I would not donate my organs quite apart from the fact that I don't think they would be any use to anyone but also because I don't believe in the concept of organ doation.. It has absolutely nothing to do with religious belief since I'm not a believer. It is simply that I believe that the world is already overpopulated and people should be allowed to die natural deaths. Death after all, is part of the natural cycle of life. I am also a firm advocate of euthanasia.