Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POPCORN: Are You Plebe or Gourmet
My Whirley Pop

[Image: 2574.jpg?yocs=_&yoloc=us]

fresh popped, buttered and salted.

Although, in a pinch this will do......

[Image: 20130730-cheese-popcorn-taste-test-wise.jpg]
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

YUM!

We would buy bulk popcorn at the store sometimes when I was a kid, but at my grandfather's house we had homegrown. The routine went that we kids would go out to the cold back porch closet where the ears were kept. We would rub them together to get the kernels off and then toss to winnow out the chaff. Then grandpa took it, along with a bid spoonful of lard, down to the basement where he kept an iron pot, an old pan lid to cover it and there was a gas ring. He would heat up the pot over the gas fire, melt the lard and throw in the kernels to pop. After it was done, it was dumped into a brown paper bag to take upstairs and eat. Instead of bowls, we used newspapers to put pile of the popped corn on.

These days I get Orville Rickenbacker's corn and put about 1/3 cup in a 5# brown paper bag. I fold the bag over in 1/2" folds three or four times so that it does not come open and put it in the microwave on high for about 5 minutes until it pops only once about every three seconds. Then it gets seasoned with butter and salt or whatever.

MUCH cheaper than those icky microwave bags and it tastes great. Use any seasoning you like.
I bid NO Trump!

PS--If you pop the corn with oil in a pan you can add a good tablespoon of sugar to the pan while the oil is warming and then toss in the corn. Pop as usual and be careful not to burn and you will get great sweet popcorn.
I bid NO Trump!

happyschizoid Wrote:So, if you put an ear of popping corn in the microwave will it pop?

Yes. No real reason to remove it from the cob other than portion control. It has to be thoroughly dry to pop, so if you grew pop corn this summer, wait until around US thanksgiving to try to pop it right from the cob. Just put it in a paper bag with plenty of room for the popped kernels, fold over the top of the bag a few times so the popcorn doesn't leak out. Microwave it. Stop it when the popping starts to die down.

I pop corn in a nordic popcorn popping bowl in the microwave. It's the cheapest, fastest, and healthy!

There's also this...

Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Wow! All these helpful popcorn posts. Thanks guys!

palbert Wrote:Wow! All these helpful popcorn posts. Thanks guys!

Popcorn is our friend...

so my favorite combo is two Tbsp real butter, good shake of salt, couple dashes hot sauce, garlic and onion powder, 3 Tbsp corn, 3-4 mins and mmmmmm Xyxthumbs

I eat it plain about three times weekly and then act out like a bad boy about twice a month.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Salty popcorn in the microwave for the appetizer, it's less caloric than crisps. I eat twice a week maybe, not at home but in a PUB with a big "Whirley Pop", it's free ^^

The only time I like popcorn is when I go to the movies...and then I have to have it.....

I think if the popcorn machine was broken I would ask for a refund and go to another theatre.....

I have an obsession with REAL BUTTER ONLY on my popcorn. I rarely have butter of any kind either...still have most of my four sticks in my refridgerator I bought last year. As little butter as I eat....I never eat butter substitutes...they make me feel ill right away.....

Finding a theatre that uses real butter is a challenge......grrrrrr....I have spoken with almost every theatre owned pleading my case for real butter..and it has worked sometimes....surprisingly...sometimes one voice does the trick

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXXoesA4dseZt6vtcU82d...1rS3Pi-K0w]