Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panic attacks
I suffer from very bad panic attacks. Had a really bad one this morning. Does anyone know how to cope with them?
An eye for an eye

do you know what triggers them ? if it's possible to stay away from situations that bring on a panic attack , that's always good ~

also therapy can help . since i've found a really good therapist i've found that my panic attacks have happened much less than they used to ...

One of my best friends has a rare disorder (Avoidant Personality Disorder) that gives her panic attacks in many situations. If she feels one coming, she gets up and walks to a quiet place until it passes, or at least gets better. She also avoids a few things that cause her to have them (triggers), one being extremely large crowds of people. I've noticed that when she doesn't let them frighten her away from what she's trying to do, that they seem to slowly become less severe, as when I once brought her volunteering with me, she became less nervous as the day progressed and she got used to what she was doing.

Why?

That is a somewhat rhetorical question, meaning you need to ask yourself that question and start putting together the pieces of your puzzle as to why you have them, what triggers them and also what you can do during an attack to lessen the sting.

I got panic attacks in my youth as part of the package deal of PTSD. Not knowing I had PTSD, nor understanding that certain things can set me off, so called 'triggers' I waded through a morass of fear and dread.

Just getting some power through knowledge took the sting out of the attacks. Understanding what caused them for me, understanding my 'triggers' gave me a bit more power.

This morning something happened to 'trigger' this panic attack.

I strongly suggest you Google 'Triggers' http://www.google.com/#output=search&scl...55&bih=707 start reading/studying on what types of things can be triggers.

How to deal with an attack while its happening is to focus your mind on the 'rational' part of the situation. Such as focusing on each feature of the room about you, 'inventory' the contents of the room, or count the number of bricks on the wall.

Breath - most people who have a panic attack start breathing faster (fear panting) - focus on the breathing, slow it down, take deep breaths and release them slowly.

Meditation/relaxation techniques can be called into play, such as focusing on each part of your body and relaxing it, starting with the toes and working up the foot, the ankle, calf, thigh all the way up to the top of your head.

These three examples have one thing in common, you are taking your mind off the panic attack and focusing on 'constructive' things.

When I figured out that there are these things called triggers, I took to analyzing the situation/place/people around me/thoughts I was having and trying to figure out what specifically was triggering this attack. This was me taking control, gaining power from a situation I felt powerless in. That having control/power or working on taking it back will shorten and lessen a panic attack.

If these happen frequently you should talk to your physician. They now have pills for this. However even with a prescription anxiety type drug I strongly advise that you seek a therapist to work on this.

It can be over come, you can take power back, you can lessen the number of attacks and even the strength of the attacks. It depends on the cause.

I used to have panic attacks, mainly because I was so stressed out all the time.

For me, a few things worked if I felt one coming on (sometimes they just happened with no warning).....

Go to a nice quiet place and sit or stand there with your eyes closed, slowing breathing in and out, listening to the breathes you are making...until you feel better.

Go ride a bicycle.

Go someplace quiet, where no one can hear you, and scream really loud and for as long as you can.

Meditate.

Read a book.

Listen to loud music.

Recite a poem to yourself, or recite the alphabet over and over again until you feel better.

Take a hot shower.

Hmmm, thats all I can think of right now.

Were you born with panic attacks, or did they start occuring after you became an adult?

If they manifested themselves after your teen years, you might just have a depressive state of mind, high anxiety, and low tolerance for stress.

I had a Dr give me a stress test once and my depression state of mind was "off the meter", as was my anxiety and stress tolerance.

I was put on some meds for a while...which helped me work through all the issues I was having.

Now Im ok. Havent had a panic attack in years.

You might try getting a stress test at the Dr.s office.

I started having panic attacks in my early 20s.
An eye for an eye

soft belly breathing. panic attacks are as much physiological as mental. whatever you're panicking about your mind tells your body to go into panic mode, which releases hormones (adrenaline) and causes a surge in energy (fight or flight response) with no outlet. if you're a singer, it's like how singers breathe from their diaphragm rather than in their upper chest.

when you feel one coming on stand against a wall. the wall hinders your ability to expand your chest, forcing to breathe into your belly/diaphragm, which cuts off the panic attic by supplying more oxygen to the bloodstream. here's someone explaining it better than me:

"Why Belly Breathing Decreases Anxiety and Can Make You Healthier

The first big problem concerns the Vagus nerve. The Vagus nerve is a cranial nerve that runs from the brain to every major organ in the body including the lungs and the heart. The stress and the relaxation response occur through activation of the vagus nerve. Stress doesn’t just hurt the cardiovascular system but every organ in the body. It is extremely difficult to control the stress(sympathetic) response from thinking or will. However by breathing properly we can instantly activate the vagus nerve and engage the relaxation (para-sympathetic) response. Breathing well will not only help you feel more relaxed but also help you digest your food better, sleep better, and have more energy.

If you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks regular soft belly breathing can make panic attacks less likely and also be used to fend them off. If you do end up having a panic attack and it feels like you are going to suffocate, choke, or even die it is almost certain you are trying to breath into your chest. At this moment it helps to understand that you are experiencing the flight or fight response. Put your hand on your belly and push it out as you try to breath in and then strongly tighten your abdominal muscles as you try to breath out. It will feel labored but you will slowly begin to return to a more relaxed state."

In my experience, lots and lots of therapy. I don't know that I can give advice on it just because I've dealt with it myself for a long time. All I can say is that professional help really does work.

dvdbwn Wrote:soft belly breathing. panic attacks are as much physiological as mental. whatever you're panicking about you mind tells your body to go into panic mode, which releases hormones (adrenaline) and causes a surge in energy (fight or flight response) with no outlet. if you're a singer, it's like how singers breathe from their diaphragm rather than in their upper chest.

when you feel one coming on stand against a wall. the wall hinders your ability to expand your chest, forcing to breathe into your belly/diaphragm, which cuts off the panic attic by supplying more oxygen to the bloodstream. here's someone explaining it better than me:

"Why Belly Breathing Decreases Anxiety and Can Make You Healthier

The first big problem concerns the Vagus nerve. The Vagus nerve is a cranial nerve that runs from the brain to every major organ in the body including the lungs and the heart. The stress and the relaxation response occur through activation of the vagus nerve. Stress doesn’t just hurt the cardiovascular system but every organ in the body. It is extremely difficult to control the stress(sympathetic) response from thinking or will. However by breathing properly we can instantly activate the vagus nerve and engage the relaxation (para-sympathetic) response. Breathing well will not only help you feel more relaxed but also help you digest your food better, sleep better, and have more energy.

If you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks regular soft belly breathing can make panic attacks less likely and also be used to fend them off. If you do end up having a panic attack and it feels like you are going to suffocate, choke, or even die it is almost certain you are trying to breath into your chest. At this moment it helps to understand that you are experiencing the flight or fight response. Put your hand on your belly and push it out as you try to breath in and then strongly tighten your abdominal muscles as you try to breath out. It will feel labored but you will slowly begin to return to a more relaxed state."

Excellent post. Deep breathing can work wonders for anxiety. I find that meditation can help too.