Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Monette
i discovered Paul Monette just days ago. i started reading his Becoming a Man, and it is an amazing work just a third way into the book. Monette is exceptionally honest and genuine, a truly remarkable man the way he recounts his story.

i don't know how many of you know him and his work; if you do know him and have read his work i'd be glad to hear your opinion. i think it is something a gay man should know. i am left breathless by his words, moved to the core at his story. he is a revelation, a piece of truth and realness that is utterly refreshing to read among this information overload that we are fed on a daily basis by default, most of it useless and stale.

i feel that people are reading so little these days, and even if they are reading books they still haven't heard of Monette, or Isay, still haven't read even Genet or Proust, Thom Gunn or Lorca, Verlaine, or Rimbaud. i don't know what to do to motivate people to read them, because what those men created were works of art, something so beautiful and elegant that it feels a crime to live and not to have known their work. life would feel less without them.

men like that should be household names for gay guys, and not to elicit a reaction of 'who?' when being mentioned to them. the history and culture of homosexuality is so much more far-reaching and important than is generally held to be the case. so much so that there were times when one was hard-pressed to find a single straight artist among the most prominent ones of his time.

i've heard some people claim that gay men don't have a lot of heroes or role models to choose from among our own sexuality. but that is completely untrue. the heroes who loved other men are plentiful, and rich and varied, it's just all still buried under some invisibility cloak that they are not there. they've been there for thousands of years and we need to stop co-operating with this passive mainstream view that the culture as a whole has been mostly heterosexual. it is not fair to all those amazing men who made the world in their image and loved other men at the same time.

Paul Monette was one of such great men. he should be read.

[Image: 512SKKuu6oL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

[Image: giard_731.jpg]

[Image: PaulMonette2.jpg]
''Do I look civilized to you?''

I've never heard of him, but I agree that there has long been great contributions to the arts, as well as in other fields, by gay men. I also agree there is so much value in knowing that history and learning it. Just because society was a certain way in the past doesn't mean that certain types of people didn't exist or have important things to say and offer.

I'll look out for Monette next time I'm getting books and let you know what I think. Thanks for passing his name along.

meridannight Wrote:...i've heard some people claim that gay men don't have a lot of heroes or role models to choose from among our own sexuality. but that is completely untrue. the heroes who loved other men are plentiful, and rich and varied, it's just all still buried under some invisibility cloak that they are not there. they've been there for thousands of years and we need to stop co-operating with this passive mainstream view that the culture as a whole has been mostly heterosexual. it is not fair to all those amazing men who made the world in their image and loved other men at the same time. ...
QFT.

I haven't read Becoming a Man since it was first published in '92. Cant remember a lot about it, TBH. At that time I was reading a lot of gay literature (not to mention involved in a lot of gay political activity) so it kind of all blurs together.

Emiliano Wrote:I'll look out for Monette next time I'm getting books and let you know what I think. Thanks for passing his name along.

i think you'll like him. he has a very poetic way of expressing himself. poetic, but not without flesh and blood among the components. he's all throbbing dick but with the emotional flare to go along with it.

meridannight Wrote:he's all throbbing dick but with the emotional flare to go along with it.

Haha, alright. Sounds interesting.

Yes, and I've done some reasearch and published here and there but I'd like that work to be recognized by its sheer value (if it ever has any, of course) and not because "some gay scientist" did it.

Yes we can work in sience and in medicine and in literature and arts and in politics and the military and in teaching and industries and engineering and informatics and high tech, etc. That people should come to acknowledge that, sure, it's important, but I almost resent the idea of the need to have "gay role models". Sexuality, who we like, is such a small part of who we are, why is it so relevant?

That said, I understand why is important in regards to social acceptance, that there are prominent gay public figures, even better if they can help turn the public opinion in our favor. Perhaps some gay kid struggling will also find some use it in. I never did, though, but that's just me.

I will, when I can, take a look at this author.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:Yes, and I've done some reasearch and published here and there but I'd like that work to be recognized by its sheer value (if it ever has any, of course) and not because "some gay scientist" did it.

Yes we can work in sience and in medicine and in literature and arts and in politics and the military and in teaching and industries and engineering and informatics and high tech, etc. That people should come to acknowledge that, sure, it's important, but I almost resent the idea of the need to have "gay role models". Sexuality, who we like, is such a small part of who we are, why is it so relevant?

you missed the point.

and it actually is relevant when it is something that has been oppressed for centuries. when a significant portion of the population still thinks homosexuality is something wrong and shouldn't be tolerated.

nobody is claiming that gay people should make it the most important part of who we are (although for some it may be true, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that either). but to go back into the closet about our culture and history is a misguided approach. living apart of that culture and in ignorance of it is just as bad as living in ignorance of the history of the human race as a whole.

meridannight Wrote:you missed the point.

and it actually is relevant when it is something that has been oppressed for centuries. when a significant portion of the population still thinks homosexuality is something wrong and shouldn't be tolerated.

nobody is claiming that gay people should make it the most important part of who we are (although for some it may be true, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that either). but to go back into the closet about our culture and history is a misguided approach. living apart of that culture and in ignorance of it is just as bad as living in ignorance of the history of the human race as a whole.

Fine, then. I missed the point, I'm going back to the closet about our culture, I'm missguided, I'm living apart of that culture and in ignorance of it, blah blah blah. Sure, I've NEVER EVER noticed gay dudes face struggles, I swear if you hadn't told me just now I just wouldn't know. My opinion is wrong and I'm wrong and you're god and let's just burn me at the stake, yes?

There, did I miss anything? Do enjoy yourself further if you wish, if I did.

Sorry, I just don't give a shit about role models. I seem to be doing just fine without one.

Giving it a second assessment, I think I'll stick to my current reading on DNA sequence analysis.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:Fine, then. I missed the point, I'm going back to the closet about our culture, I'm missguided, I'm living apart of that culture and in ignorance of it, blah blah blah. Sure, I've NEVER EVER noticed gay dudes face struggles, I swear if you hadn't told me just now I just wouldn't know. My opinion is wrong and I'm wrong and you're god and let's just burn me at the stake, yes?

There, did I miss anything? Do enjoy yourself further if you wish, if I did.

this is ridiculous. i don't know what it is you're reacting to so strongly here, but i wasn't talking about you specifically.

getting back on topic, here's a quote from Monette:

[Image: quote-the-struggle-for-true-openness-and...1-0174.jpg]