Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal life and the internet... how much sharing is actually healthy?
Well I have been on the on social media since Facebook required you to be at a University. I have not received any death threats. So not sure why you think you would get death threats from people? I mean I don't go flaunting my sexuality online and I don't really like doing that but I have been a prick on the internet over the years here and there and I doubt starting a blog is going to bring you those kinds of problems.

Create an alias for yourself, something different that you don't use anywhere else. Hell you don't even have to say you're in Germany. It does sound like you're wanting to create more of a blog than a Facebook page. I don't think Facebook is really all that well suited to talk about those sort of things... People are dumb and small minded so yeah you could get the attention of some redneck.

Make yourself a wordpress site. You will have full control. Someone posts something negative, block their ass, end of story. You have their IP address, so if they do start making threats you can report it to authorities. Not sure what the laws are in your area but something to keep in mind.

Don't expect too many followers for a while. Might be years, or never before you get a lot of viewers. It takes time to get things set up and I've had a few swings at setting up websites and things like that, putting up content that you either want to write or that people will find interesting isn't all that easy. So it is a question of who the audience and why you're writing whatever it is you're writing.

Just be sure to proofread what you post, make sure you're not giving away obvious things that give away your identity or where you live. Also, as much as hate to say this, don't link back to GS or anything else tied to you. That way there are no links coming back to you from anywhere... Personally I have not had any problem doing that because I wanted people to read my blog and whatnot and I never really posted anything controversial so much.

My thing is don't be afraid to speak your mind, you can do all those things and be fine with it, just exercise a little bit of caution and common sense and relax.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Thanks Axle.

The laws in Germany are horrible, they are meant to protect the users of a website, but not the owners. You have to state your full real name and your home address on your own website, otherwise you risk a fine of up to 50.000 Euros. It is as insane as I say. If anything, I could use a free non-German service like wordpress.com or tumblr.

Facebook? Yeah I do have a private account am not accepting friend requests from people who I don't know. Also if I were to create a new profile for this, I think Facebook is really too messy, too unsuitable for this, because of the timeline algorithms which destroy all chronology.

About followers: I don't care, here I would like to have quality over quantity. Would love to meet new interesting people through this, not to become "famous", but if that happens, I guess I'm not the only famous person in the world.

Sure, of course I would not link to GS.

axle2152 Wrote:Well one piece of advice is to not use the same user name over different websites and services.

THIS!

I have recently requested a username change. There are some things happening that I am in need of seeking advice for, vent etc..

I can easily be identified by this name.

Sharing with strangers/ the whole internet. I guess there is less danger when nobody knows who you are !

Done anything illegal? Keep it to yourself Tongue
Took a dump? Keep it to yourself.
Got a very weird fetish, like poop fetish, don't post about it on here at least. There are other forums for that I'm sure Tongue

Don't share your private numbers. Like phone number, social security number etc.

Lol, none of the above. Smile