Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet Snails? <3
Patricia Highsmith (famous suspense writer) used to keep pet snails. In one of her books - Deep Water - the main character keeps them in tanks in his garage.

QueenOdi Wrote:I wouldn't know about the really large snails, as our's only get as big as a newborns fist (couldn't think of anything else :tongue: ), but I've heard that the very large african land snails don't usually break skin, as it's not edible to them. It could happen perhaps, but I don't think the odds are very high.

Actually even the common sold here aquarium snails can break human skin (if they're one of the types that get bigger than one inch (2.54cm) or so)...but its not like a snail is gonna go attack you or something LOL

Do have to be somewhat careful - aquarium snails will sometimes go after sleeping fish though (I never had it happen, but it does sometimes) ... and ofcourse even the small ones will eat a fish that has died (that I've seen plenty of times)

--
any of the naturally occurring snails (both land & water types) I've seen here have been small - less than a half inch.

~Update~

Lookie, Lookie :tongue: .

Vi has a lip now- which means he can haz bay bez Kiss3
[Image: IMG_0753.jpg]

His Shell (Otala Lactea(Milk Snail)
[Image: IMG_0741.jpg]

The baby Lin(A rescue)
[Image: IMG_0754.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0767.jpg]

Vi(the large one), Jazz(second largest) and Lin(The baby :3)- Late night feeding!
[Image: IMG_0770.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0771.jpg]

Vi and Lin are best pals. Lin always rides on Vi :3
[Image: IMG_0769.jpg]

These are my snail pals.
I have 5 Otala Lactea; Biggest to smallest;
Vi
Jazz
Tobias
Pi
Lin

I thought they were Cepaeas, cause they look similar, except we don't get them here.

Also, I found a nearly 5inch Detritivorous Slug and a Wolf Snail(Carnivorous Snail :o )

Rosy Wolf Snail.
[Image: Euglandina_rosea,_Tallahassee,_20011014.jpg]

I also found a Snail species that orginated here and can only be found here (except now, they've been sent to a london research center for repopulation, because the Wolf Snails keep eating them Sad ) Three of them are extinct(hopefully not), and the smallest one is barely surviving. They're protected and extremely rare, so I couldn't even touch it and I didn't have my iPod with me to take a pic Sad . They are an ancient island species and for some reason have been around for hundreds of years and grew very large, close to the Giant African Land Snails, but weren't pointed. Wolf Snails were introduced in 1920 and ate all the snails Cry . They were brought in to kill off the Otala Lactea, but they're very resourceful.

But I googled a pic of what one looks like anyway:3

Poecilozonites circumfirmatus
[Image: poec%20seymours%20pond.JPG?__SQUARESPACE...3522566228]

Bermuda Conservation

There you go :biggrin:

Go Vi , lots of babies.

boy friends come and go but pet(s).... tend to stick around.

pellaz Wrote:boy friends come and go but pet(s).... tend to stick around.

That's funny and ironic :3 . Yeah, these pets have a tendency to Stick around :p .

@Mum- Vi hasn't had any babies yet, he needs another snail to mate with him(they're hermaphrodites, but not asexual :p ). The other's are his younger friends. The next one to become mature is Jazz, so hopefully they'll end up doing the nasty Smile .
(They can have over 300eggs each :o - I have to control them lol).

Cool 300X2 isn't that bad , they are so cute.:biggrin:

I'd love to have a pet snail, i think they are the cutest things ever but i don't think my cats would like it very much aha!

Rainbowmum Wrote:Cool 300X2 isn't that bad , they are so cute.:biggrin:

I agree, but they can do that multiple times per year, sometimes all year round if the conditions are right :0 . They're prolific breeders. I'll probably end up feeding the babies I don't keep to my tree frogs(they love snails L0l), cause that's more humane than just squishing them or something. Otherwise they'd completely over run the tank :o.

And yes they are cute Bighug . They like to lick on my skin and it tickles Rolleyes .

RockerBlocks Wrote:I'd love to have a pet snail, i think they are the cutest things ever but i don't think my cats would like it very much aha!

They are cute :biggrin: . I don't think the cats would eat it, cause appearantly the Mucus(slime) they produce is very unpleasant to taste. They might knock him over though :frown: .

QueenOdi Wrote:... (They can have over 300eggs each :o - I have to control them ...
a spontaneous open expression of your jesus catholic hidden latency. Every sperm counts.
Invasion