Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet Snails? <3
Update Smile

This is Pi, watching his pal Vi :p .
[Image: IMG_0910.jpg]

~

The two babies. Not quite sure if they're Otala Lactea yet.
[Image: IMG_0918.jpg]

Comparitive Sizes. That big boy is Vi :p
[Image: IMG_0922.jpg]

I can't put them with the big ones yet, cause they can get squished.
[Image: IMG_0923.jpg]

~
Tropical Leatherleaf Slug Smile ... still no name.
[Image: IMG_0899.jpg]

~

That's it for now Smile .

something i thought of recently, is it a coincidence that african snails are much larger than regular snails:biggrinSad if you dont believe me google them)

I know all about the Achatina (Giant Snail) Species that reside both in and outside of Africa. They are pretty big, the largest being about the size of a small cat or so. The most common being Achatina Fulica, especially in the UK.

I have no clue what makes them so big, but alot of things in Africa are big, so why not the snails too? :p .

They say islands, especially un-inhabited ones, usually have larger animals, such as lizards and what not, due to the fact that before the trend of importation, there weren't enough large apex predators on these islands, so smaller species grew bigger. This is probably the case for the Achatina species, but I don't know exactly.

Take for instance the Kakapo located on a island near or in New Zeland. Before cats and other predators, it was and still is a very large flightless bird, similar to the Dodo, Parrot & Owl, but now has to be protected, because they have no defense against predators, other than trying to run away or struggle. They are very docile and you can hold them, which is why they were killed easily, you can just go up to one and pick it up and walk away with it. They were barely brought back from extinction and still retain their hefty size, much like the Achatina snail species.

Kakapo
[Image: wide_kakapo.jpg]

A strawberry for a slug? Mommy, you spoil them rotten LOL

Kakapo is a really sweet creature Smile

Nick9 Wrote:A strawberry for a slug? Mommy, you spoil them rotten LOL

Kakapo is a really sweet creature Smile

More like they spoiled the Strawberry rotten :p . They only took two bites and left it alone Rolleyes . I dropped a piece of Tomatoe in there yesterday and it was gone in an hour :o .

I agree, it is and the fact that it's one of the last flightless birds makes it even more special. I like how it has the face of an owl, but the body and feathers of a parrot :p . It looks cute Dazzler1

QueenOdi Wrote:More like they spoiled the Strawberry rotten :p .

RoflRoflRofl
You know, I thought I was bad because I didn't kill slugs in our garden. But if our neighbors got to know that I fed the slugs strawberries... :biggrin:

Lol :p .

I've discovered though, Strawberries aren't their favourite snack anyway. They prefer veggies like Tomatoes(technically thought to be a fruit) and Dill and Parsley :p , so as long as those things aren't in you're garden...

The one's you guys have out there are much more destructive, as they will pretty much eat any kind of vegetation. These guys are picky Spiny .

Small Update Imu2

I've made a tank adjustment, due to the fact that I realized they don't need so much room, so I put them in a smaller container, which is still pretty big for them. Plus, I'm going to put Lily in their old tank :p .
[Image: IMG_0931.jpg]

Vi is literally about 5x larger than the babies, probably more if he stretches his body Smile .
[Image: IMG_0936.jpg]

Chowing down on some lettuce :p .
[Image: IMG_0935.jpg]
~

I was up until about 1:30am doing up this new set-up for them. I
I had to;
> Move my pill bug colony to this set-up(they keep the set-up clean)
> Move their highnesses themselves to this set-up
> Plan how the set-up was gonna work
> Actually Set it up
> Get the dirt and microwave it, to remove any parasites or pests (I was sad when I thought something might be in there, but nothing was that I could see).
> Place the pebbles strategically, so that the pill bugs have places to wiggle into, though they prefer the dirt
> Spray the whole thing lightly with water, to keep things damp and humid in there for them
> And then watch them :p , especially the babies, cause they might get bullied, but they're doing fine. Very hardy creatures.

But all of this was worth it, cause now they have a new home and I can keep a closer eye on them, as well as observe them more easily :redface: .

Plus, Lily will be getting a bigger tank to live in, and when I finally get one or two more frogs, she'll have a playmate(s). Smile , but I have to wash the tank and stuff, cause it's covered in snail slime and poo :p . Little buggers Spiny .

Smile .

i often as a kid would look in the garden for snails and before rush hour traffic i would dot them over the road and play survivial of the fittest.... Any alive by 10am had an extra day to live lol before i saw karma

zeon [Image: ats2561_chairshot.gif]
I will forgive you, but just because it is you and you post it today [Image: ats2561_chairshot.gif]